1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2024 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Billy Horschel on a heater in London.
    7 birdies in a row.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I’ve walked over 100,000 steps and 48 miles over the last five days at the U.S. Mid-Am, and one of our locals is playing in the final match tomorrow. Goddamn shame that we lost some of these USGA championships on TV after the transfer from Fox to NBC. I can tell you from a boots on the ground perspective that the golf at Kinloch this week has been sick. Our guy Evan Beck snugged a 100-foot lag putt to 18 inches in a quarterfinal match today and then hit an impossible shot out of disgusting rough to get up and down and win a match. This Bobby Massa guy just crushes the ball and has the short game to match. Great final on tap.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You would think NBC would put it on Peacock. Maybe the USGA will insist on it when the contract comes up in a couple of years.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I remember around the mid-90's, a writer for the Glob wrote that the Mid-Am was the true USGA amateur championship because all the guys playing the amateur championship were kids a year away from going pro.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Won with a 25-foot eagle putt on second playoff hole to beat Rory. Horschel has won the BMW twice. T2 at Troon two months ago. He must like it over there.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He also should be in the Presidents Cup.

Speaking of PCup, they're playing lift, clean and cheat today at Royal Montreal. PGA Tour gonna PGA Tour.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Meanwhile it couldn't have been wetter the last two days at Kinloch and the USGA says let the mud balls fly!

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Also, not going to lie, getting to cover a guy who you've seen come through your ranks for years win a USGA championship in his home state, pretty fucking cool. Great guy to boot, great family.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

US up 3-0, dormie going to 17 and 1 up on 16 in other. At the minimum, 3.5 in 1st session. If it goes 5-0, wow.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This event, sheesh. One more U.S. rout tomorrow and the NBC weekend viewership will fit in my backyard.

And the golf scribes will chirp about how this should be PGA Tour vs. LIV, co-ed with LPGA, etc. But the PGA Tour is not sharing the revenue from this event. They'll roll out Adam Scott or JDay for captain in four years in Australia and just keep hoping for the right combination of international players to not suck. They realllllly want Tom Kim to turn into a Sergio/Seve from the Ryder Cup. Enough already.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Tom Kim's got that fire, no doubt but the rest of the International Squad, not so much. I don't think it's that they come from different parts of the world, I mean its a team competition, its competition, each player is motivated.

However, I realize why the Euros are so into it, they genuinely care about it more than anyone outside of Europe. It's probably fueled by the past, the way Seve started a wave, rejoicing in the upstart non-PGA pros giving the complacent US pros the finger. Then all credit to Monty (!), Poulter, Sergio for carrying on that passion.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Selfishly, at least in women’s golf, I’d love to see USA/Europe vs. South Korea/Japan in some sort of cup. Would be sick.

qtlaw and playthrough like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted