1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Allred was actually ahead by 1 or 2 points in a poll last week, although a more recent poll this week from a more reputable firm had him behind 3. Still, its now been a month of polling where Allred has been within the margin of error of a victory. That's not great, considering that Trump has been +3 to +9 in every poll, and sitting at an average of +6.3 for the past 30 days. I think I mentioned it a week or two back, but Cruz has had to noticeably increase his advertising spend on TV lately - Allred had the airwaves to himself around the Olympics until now. I think Cruz still holds Allred off, but it's wild how he's gone from a vaguely viable presidential candidate to performing badly for a hard right conservative in Texas.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Its tough to register and to vote in Texas - and the powers that be like it that way.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Beto lost by 2.9 percent and was a lot more visible than Allred has been. There were TONS of Beto signs / car stickers. I haven't seen one for Allred. Maybe people have gotten sicker of Cruz and his antics the last six years but I don't know if that, plus the influx population can close that gap.

Maybe those fed up the Abbott, Patrick, Paxton triumvirate take their frustration out on Cruz -- Abbott's margin of victory went down by three points but the other to won by larger margins from 2018 to 2022, so who knows?

Slacker likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Hurricane, Eric Adams, Israel top Google News with first mention of Fat Orange buried way down and it's a welcome change.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It's funny Merrick can wake from his nap to charge the black mayor of New York but not the criming insurrectionist.

Slacker and TigerVols like this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

And Hunter. And Menendez.

One way or another he'll be out of a job soon enough.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Dumb and drunk-tweeting is no way to go through life, Clay. (Hey, he even shares a first name with another mouth-breather.)
    What I would like some Republican lawmaker to spell out is a reasonable explanation for the Electoral College still being in place. I've never seen that.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There is virtually no way to eliminate the EC that will get the necessary number of states on board to amend the constitution.

What could help dilute it, and frankly would be good for creating more responsive government anyway, is to double the size of the House of Representatives. We are up to around 750,000 people per district.

Mr._Graybeard likes this.
  10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is a good work around the need for an amendment.

Basically it asks states to pledge that they will commit their electors to the winner of the national popular vote regardless of who wins their state. Sixteen states have already joined the compact. It will only take effect once enough states representing the 270 EC votes needed to win have joined. Right now they're at 209 because both California and New York have joined.

For a lot of reasons, they may never reach the number of states signing on that they need, but it has a much greater chance of getting there than an amendment does.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If there is a port strike, Biden needs to work behind the scenes to bring an end to it, and Harris needs to be seen on the line with the union workers.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

did she sit down and read it aloud to lester holt if not doesn't count just more duck and dodge it hurts to still be this undecided because i am thoughtful and objective

Draft saved Draft deleted