1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Lewis says Moneyball made baseball more boring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Sep 25, 2024 at 11:38 AM.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Another year older, and he’d lose to Rocky Marciano.

garrow likes this.
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He was talking about the White Sox.

Songbird likes this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Baseball Prospectus and Baseball Primer were pretty big around the time John Henry bought the Red Sox. A few of the posters got major league jobs from research they did independently.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The stat I saw a couple of years ago was telling: More than one-third of the at-bats in baseball result in the ball not being put into play: homers, strikeouts, walks and hit batters.

The analytics are great over a 162-game season and getting to a 90-72 record to make the playoffs. Not so good for a seven-game series.

FileNotFound likes this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Lewis’ message is correct, what helps you win a game isn’t what we grew up looking to see in a baseball game. Fielding mattered, bunts mattered. Yes HRs were cool but that was because it was a special event. Now every position player is swinging for the fences; seeing Reggie go down swinging was exciting; seeing the .225 SS go down swinging (and most everyone else) not so much.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I get most of the critiques.

But people pining for more bunts need to get a life.

garrow, melock and UNCGrad like this.
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Funny, many of the same people who claim to pine for more bunts go into screeching fits over the "ghost runner" rule in extra innings, despite the fact that the one thing it undeniably does is instantly resurrect the sac bunt as a strategically optimal move.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Something made baseball MORE boring? Gotta say that is a very impressive feat.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Chicks dig the long-brawl.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2024 at 10:41 AM
    Woody Long likes this.
  10. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I'll gently push back on this, especially considering my lifelong favorite team did tank to get better and won the 2016 World Series.

With expanded playoffs now, though, I think more MLB teams feel like they are in the hunt longer than they did in the past. KC is a good example this year. MLB teams know that their tournament is the most random one of all of them, and anyone who makes the tournament has a real chance, just like the D'Backs last year. It's made for a less interesting trade deadline the last few years because more teams go for it than in the past.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Tanking.

Except for Yankees. You can't tank on Broadway.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The 2019 Nationals are also a great example of how anything can happen in a baseball postseason. The “best” team sometimes doesn’t win, which is what makes baseball’s diluted postseason more interesting to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted