1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 16, 2024.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I’m basically just over the SC line from @maumann , so I’m definitely keeping a close eye on this one. We are actually supposed to travel to the Tampa area this weekend for an event. We’re expecting everything to have blown through by then but definitely keeping flexible on our plans.

Liut, Driftwood and maumann like this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Most of the newer ones have a CO2 sensor and cutoff. Never underestimate the stupidity of people. One group that uses our lodge building asked if they could put a Blackstone in the kitchen for when they do meals. We said sure, but to be on the safe side, we put a sign on it: "DO NOT USE INSIDE!"

My aunt used to heat her home with a couple of those Kerosun heaters. How in the world she didn't carbon monoxide herself or burn the house down I'll never know.

Liut and franticscribe like this.
  3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

In the impeccable timing category, I just saw that the band Tropical Fuck Storm is scheduled to play Atlanta Friday night.

Chef2, Liut, Driftwood and 1 other person like this.
  4. Driftwood

I just checked my rain gauge, and it was overflowing at 6 inches. It was empty on Wednesday.

Liut likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sounds like they’re a mile down the road.

Stay safe, sir.

Liut and maumann like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

HA! I ain't from 'round here but I've picked up on the vernacular.

Liut likes this.
  7. Driftwood

I realize it's easy to just walk out the door and roll the cameras, but Weather Channel is focusing more on Atlanta than they are where it's going to hit.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Marty Merzer:

Hurricane Helene Ground Zero, 2:30 p.m. Thursday update:
    - Hurricane Helene has been upgraded (so to speak) and has estimated sustained winds of 120 mph, making it a major Category Three storm. It is maintaining its forecast trajectory, with the state capital of Tallahassee squarely in the middle of the forecast cone.
    - The current forecast has the powerful core drilling the coastline around 11 p.m. tonight, somewhere between the small town of Carabelle on the west and the NOAA NWS National Hurricane Center's 2 p.m. advisory, sustained tropical storm winds of at least 39 mph will reach Tallahassee by 4 p.m. Hurricane-force winds of at least 74 mph will reach Tallahassee by 11 p.m. tonight and persist until 1 a.m. Trailing tropical storm winds will return and, accompanied by squalls, linger until 8 a.m. Friday.
    - All is good at Camp Merzer. The Petley family of four is here. Grandkids Sol, 16, and Sophie, 12, are here. Daughter Allie is on the way here from her city office.
    - The full-house generator has not yet been put to the test. An exciting, full-contact game of RISK is about to begin. Yes, the coincident is striking.
    - More updates as information and Internet service are available.

Liut, 2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Most recent NHC bulletin shows quite a bit lower rainfall totals for us now, and higher to the west. Possibily seeing Helene take a bit of a westerly turn after landfall? Again, it's all about whether you're under one of the heavy shower bands or not.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Driftwood

An author I read lives in Port St. Joe. He sends out monthly emails about upcoming books. He sent out one today talking about how he and his neighbors were prepping for the storm but took an opportunity to get in some smart ass comment about meteorologists. Why? Why even go there?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

20 INCHES of storm surge? Those poor centipedes. :)

In any event, 1899 Cyclone Mahina (42-foot storm surge) says hold my surfboard.

Draft saved Draft deleted