1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That makes sense. Problem is, none of thi$ make$ much $en$e the$e day$.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

UTEP will end up filling someone's quota

Liut and Neutral Corner like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Either they go to the Pac, or with New Mexico St. to the MWC. No, it's not a great team, but it's a decent market with good fans. Travel isn't that bad and it adds some Texas recruiting value as well.

Liut likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

UTEP gets you El Paso and the part of West Texas lifted from a Road Runner cartoon.

maumann and Liut like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

And a bunch of folks just south of the border in Ciudad Juarez as well, who don't get counted but watch TV.

Liut likes this.
  6. dixiehack

Sounds like the schools who were ejected from the popular kids’ table have anointed themselves as bosses over the geeks they’re now slumming it with. Or so indicates the Memphis AD.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...n-aac-takeaways-power-conference/75356618007/

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

IDK. Actually being IN Texas has never been much of a recruiting benefit for the Miners.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

9. Neutral Corner

I guess if a Pac school is recruiting a Texas kid he can come to a UTEP game? I got nothing.

10. dixiehack

Micro would know the details better than I do, but apparently the reason the PAC-2 would not consent to a reverse merger with the Mountain West is it would have somehow messed up the remaining distribution payments from the original league dissolving and the defecting schools would be back to getting equal shares.

If so, it kinda explains this a little. But at the same time I’m not sure that’s great long-range strategy. All the money is going to do is delay the adjustment to a second-tier budget, and meanwhile you’ve burned bridges with some if the schools you’d be a natural fit with. Is it really worth hoping to entice Northern Illinois or UTEP in order to get some extra bucks today?

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When I covered UCLA, it played in the Sun Bowl against Illinois. Tommy Maddox, from the Dallas area, was the quarterback. His dad was always around and all of the writers knew him. We used him as a go-to source for Texas stuff. One time, he said, I'll help y'all out as much as I can, but keep in mind I live 800 miles from here.

I Should Coco, HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not sure where you slot the New Pac-12 as P4 or G5, but I'm betting there will be one fewer conference when this is done. Or maybe one more. I don't know. I didn't realize the American had 14 members in football, CUSA has 10 and Sun Belt has 14? MAC has 12? A combined PacWest of 13-14 teams would make sense. Three cross-division games a year, conference title game. I'd have a hard time thinking another conference champion would have a shot at the G5 playoff berth in most years.

PACIFIC
    WSU
    OSU
    Hawaii
    SJSU
    SDSU
    Fresno State
    Boise

MOUNTAIN
    Utah State
    UNLV
    Nevada