1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Well-Known Member

I feel like this is a very simplistic way of looking at this specific situation.

This is not a case of the WNBA vs. the media. In part, that's because Christine Brennan isn't working as a journalist. She is working as Caitlin Clark's personal biographer. She does not hide this and neither does her coverage.

While working in this capacity, Christine clumsily asked Dijonai a question about if she tried to injure Caitlin. With her follow-up question, she essentially called Dijonai a liar. Dijonai handled it professionally, but I can see why the union was upset about a line of questioning from THAT person that will only paint one of their athletes in a negative light in an era where their Black athletes have increasingly become online targets for a certain demographic.

It is no secret that the WNBA has plenty of media missteps and problems, but both the league and its union have an obligation to protect their players. This is a case when those players needed to be protected. I'd feel the same way if one of those Outkick weirdos was trying to cause unnecessary drama at a press availability and someone objected. There's a difference between a journalist and whatever Christine is trying to be this season.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2024
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We've been seeing it for her last two years at Iowa, her rookie WNBA season and even all the fuss over the Olympic team: The BKW world revolves around Caitlin. She is the virgin queen who can do no wrong and must be protected at all times.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Brennan did not say she is Clark’s personal biographer.

Here’s what she said:

x.com

4. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Well-Known Member

If that is how you want to interpret that tweet and her subsequent activity on social media and coverage, that is certainly your choice. You are wrong but that is certainly your choice.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

How many asshole journalists out there? TJ Simers and Woody Paige made a point of being jerks. There was that guy in Dallas who acted as some old-time sports reporter.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

More to the point: The WNBA does not need real media coverage. The NBA and ESPN supported the league in extremely lean years and will do so in perpetuity (even as Clark helps the league attract new viewers.)

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

OK, I won’t take a journalist’s word for how she describes what she’s doing and instead embrace your interpretation that she is not hiding her role as Clark’s personal biographer.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Been thinking about this a little this afternoon and came to the conclusion that they're both wrong, at least to some degrees.

As I said earlier, I think Brennan's line of questioning was suspect, but dumber and more leading questions get asked by personalities more conflicted than hers all over the sports world. Heck, if this had been an NFL story, that might not have been in the five worst lines of questioning all week.

Even before Clark, as was said, the WNBA has a reputation for demanding equal publicity but refusing equal scrutiny. I can't speak to that but the way it is being handled by the union seems extremely unprofessional.

The challenge is that equal publicity is largely being delivered by a straight white woman in a league that is majority Black and, depending upon who you believe, close to majority gay. I think that's the fault line. The people who have been holding the line over the last decade waiting for the league's moment are seeing it being delivered by a player and fans who don't resemble them and haven't paid their dues on or off the court. I suppose that's enough to piss anyone off.

franticscribe and Alma like this.
  9. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

To me, this has always felt like why there’s been so much Caitlin Clark backlash. She isn’t representative of the league as a whole but has driven attention that falls shy of only football and the NBA.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Now if Draymond Green pokes someone in the eye . . . :)

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Another amazing thing throughout all this: Why isn't there a WNBA rule prohibiting artificial nails, or nails of any composition more than a minimal length beyond the fingers?? That should be an instantaneous no brsiner rules change.

Also: Upthread, there is a lot of discussion about things Caitlin Clark is gonna do during the offseason, two things I would recommend:

1) A full offseason program of nutrition and weight training designed to add about 15 pounds of upper body strength -- this will allow a slight modification of her game including more, but still very occasional, bulldozer drives to the basket resulting in tire tracks all the way up your opponent's torso. As a drop back jump shooter from orbital range, CC rarely does that now.

2) About six weeks of personal combat training-- not boxing specifically but more like military hand combat training. Street fighting.

So, next season, about the second time somebody tries to smash her around on the court -- fuck 'em up big time.

Quit waiting around like the damsel in distress waiting for teammates or refs or friends in the media or the league itself to come to your rescue.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2024
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The WNBA PA releasing a statement specifically attacking a reporter is NOT a case of the wnba vs the media?

alrighty then

Draft saved Draft deleted