1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Message from our Chief of Police:

I come to you as you as your Chief of Police and a human who cares about his citizens. At this time we are asking people to conserve water. This means businesses like restaurants and non essential jobs need to shut down. The water pumps at the river are destroyed and we are going to run out of water for a short time until they are restored.

Destroyed, he said.
    I have contacts at the electric and water departments. Both say, "It's not good."

franticscribe likes this.
  2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Driftwood likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Basically a Katrina in the mountains. Unspeakable horror.

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

After spending our son's fall break with my mom in Summerville, SC, we made our way home to the Atlanta area today. We did our semi-usual route on US 278 toward Augusta.

Between I-95 in Yemassee, SC and when we stopped for dinner in Greensboro, GA (about 60 miles west of Augusta), we could probably count the number of cities with power on one hand.

Barnwell, SC and the Augusta outskirt of Grovetown was about it. We tried to stop at a working Flying J in Siloam, GA, but the traffic snaked out of the lot and back onto the off ramp. Even in Greensboro about another 15 miles later, the lines at the gas stations were very reminisced of the gas shortages after Katrina.

Fortunately, we still had plenty of gas from the beginning of our trip and just needed some food. It was all I could do to just thank the cashier from the Wendy's we stopped at, which was absolutely slammed inside and out.

maumann, Batman and Slacker like this.
  6. Slacker

On a side note, women's field hockey players
    are randier than women's soccer players. ... Discuss.

7. Slacker

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

East Tennessee State coach Tre Lamb talking about their trip from Johnson City to Charleston to play The Citadel — and the trip back that awaits them.
    ETSU won 34-17, FWIW.

Driftwood, dixiehack and Slacker like this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The invest emerging off Africa would be Kirk and the unformed Caribbean storm would be Leslie (which could be a boys name or a girls name, like Ashley in the UK.)

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Next year we get Hurricane Karen.
    [​IMG]

Batman and HanSenSE like this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My county
    The was one of three bridges in the county taken out.
    This particular one was named for a WWII Marine Medal of Honor winner who threw himself on a grenade at Okinawa.

12. zufer

zufer Active Member

Flash flood warning for Cashiers, NC

Draft saved Draft deleted