1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not a fan of Moo Deng channels Chappell Roan?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Underwhelmed throughout.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That was more powerful than all the AA messages combined, Jelly Roll’s song.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2024
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Along these lines, it's 10 to 1 a.m. and we're just seeing Sarah Sherman and Heidi Gardner for the first time, I think.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Well, Heidi has a lot of Chiefs games to go to.

garrow and sgreenwell like this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Update was pretty good. Largely forgettable episode overall.

jr/shotglass and sgreenwell like this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

No offense to Jean Smart, I don't know what you can do with her for a lot of skits or play off of her previous roles / characters. I'm sure there are a lot of people who might have been wondering who's this old woman? Hacks isn't that mainstream, you've got to be a much older demograhic to even know what Designing Women was and then what's her third biggest role.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  8. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Heidi did have a part in that Spirit Halloween commercial earlier in the show.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's an excellent point, one I hadn't considered. I actually thought she would be really good in sketches, but she never seemed comfortable with it

BartonK likes this.
  10. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

She had a big part in Legion, but like Hacks, I'm not sure anyone actually watched that. Her resume between Designing Women and Hacks is littered with one-season and half-season sitcoms. Her third-biggest part might be Samantha Who.

My wife doesn't watch Hacks, didn't watch Designing Women, and had no clue who she was. She got bored and went to sleep one sketch in. It feels like they're allowing the SNL50 hype to carry the show, when they could have used the 50th anniversary to shoot much higher. George Clooney and Brad Pitt had a movie coming out this week. Chris Hemsworth and Scarlett Johansson were in a movie last week (animated, but still). Glen Powell? Ryan Reynolds? Blake Lively? Channing Tatum? Heck, Jelly Roll didn't move the needle that much, either. Saying "we're back for SNL50 with Ryan Reynolds and Lady Gaga" REALLY gets people interested. And I know, maybe they asked all of those people, but Jean Smart is who you get to host in January, not the season premiere.

sgreenwell and playthrough like this.
  11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

For those who haven’t watched Hacks, I highly recommend. It’s outstanding.

garrow and BartonK like this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hacks is very good but I turned on SNL last night, not knowing the host in advance, and thought "Jean Smart, really?"

The $100,000 Pyramid sketch was good (I'm a sucker for every game show sketch), also answered the question "when/how will SNL use the Hawk Tuah girl?"

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted