1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A stoppage or two after Trump got the kind of welcome on the Jumbotron that called to mind Nuremberg circa 1938, the stadium broke out a song I haven’t heard there before but should have been instantly recognizable to a majority of the crowd: Song of the South by the band Alabama.

As soon as it started I wondered if anyone in the booth had paid attention to a lyric that comes early in the song and how the crowd would react. To my surprise, I don’t think anyone else noticed.

Daddy was a veteran
    A Southern Democrat
    They ought to get a rich man
    To vote like that

The song thankfully has nothing to do with the Disney movie. It’s about a destitute farm family (and region) that lifted itself off the bottom with a big assist from the New Deal.

I probably won’t live long enough to see the Democrats win the rural white vote again. But there is room to become more competitive and not have so many elections turn into a bitter cliffhanger all the time.

Frankly they already support some of the things needed in the countryside. They have to learn to center those things and talk without flinching.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2024 at 7:19 PM
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

That will only help Trump---Johnny Beltway

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“I don’t think this $2 wax museum is such a great—“

[​IMG]

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I really wish Dems would fight back by saying, “Republicans hate having more people vote because even they know their policies suck.”

garrow likes this.
  6. dixiehack

We were a velvet Elvis away from the Redneck Rapture.

Hermes likes this.
  7. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

You can see him realize he said something stupid (about overtime) and needed to change the subject.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He just hates to pay anyone or any company full rate.

2muchcoffeeman and matt_garth like this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The reason he says no tax on OT is because he will let businesses ban OT.

10. dixiehack

Or reclassify huge swaths of people as exempt.

2muchcoffeeman and matt_garth like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

To keep the status quo, you need the Nebraska flip, which is looking likely now when everyone else overlooked it, and a miracle somewhere else. Florida is the most likely of the miracles due to other issues on the ballot. I don't think Texas will be close enough to even wish that happens. After that any of the others would be stunning if they flipped. 2026 is a much more favorable map -- Dems have a chance at three flips then, maybe as many as five

Draft saved Draft deleted