1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When do all these “sweeper” pitches start producing UCL replacement surgeries?

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I’m sorry, but for the Mets, this is a no-brainer.
    You win the first game, you play at Milwaukee. Decent matchup. You win that, you’re in Philly.
    Beats the krap out of being in Cali for a week plus.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I haven't followed baseball much at all this year, but this had "gentleman's split" written all over it. Sorry, D backs.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Guess he's a little more than day-to-day then huh?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Giants fire their GM. Name Posey as replacement. Hmmm.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I watched Game 1 from beginning to crazy end. Then, most of Game 2.
    In no way did "gentleman's split" ever enter my mind.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That opener today was the most fun you could have with your pants on. If you so desired, anyway.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Saw him play in Appleton in the Midwest League. I am so goddamned old.

Lot of Tigers fans are pissed they’re guaranteed to be the early game all week. Nothing like a fall day game, even if all of them are going to be under a roof in Houston.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

President of Baseball ops who basically acted as the GM.

Farhan was not a good fit. Forget not signing Harper, Judge or Ohtani, his off seasons were suspect and when the team needed a trade badly to help last year, he traded for AJ Pollack and promptly cut him. They went from 4 up in the Wild Card to no chance in hell by mid September. He made a big splash by signing Blake Snell right as Spring Training was ending. He was straight garbage the first half of the year. He also brought in Robbie Ray who was hurt the first half and only got in 7 games. He signed a “big bat” in Jorge Soler. He was traded at the deadline. They refused to bring back fan favorite Brandon Crawford for a swan song to let Luciano get time at short. Then they signed Nick Ahmed … who was cut. Luciano was not good when he got regular playing time. Farhan miss identified Heliot Ramos, who was a stud but would have never sniffed he squad without an injury. Tyler Fitzgerald was a huge find … left to fester in AAA. He mismanaged the team after the 107-win season. The farm system is not turning out people.

Meanwhile Posey stepped in and got Matt Chapman to sign an extension in September (though Scott Boras is trying to save face by denying it was Posey).

Farhan is a mad scientist who needs someone to act as a buffer. He was great with the Dodgers, but he was not THE guy.

Posey will either be the best ever or flame out hard. I really want him to be great and hope he can bring real talent to the team. Giants have had two good seasons since 2014 and neither time they made it out of the division round. Maybe it’s time for something that isn’t a computer print out.

qtlaw, HanSenSE and Liut like this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Two quick notes on the Mariners as they once again dust off the clubs for some early October golf:

1. As bad a team as the Angels had this season, they accomplished one thing: By going 8-5 against Seattle, they kept the M's out of the playoffs. Most of those victories were the soul-crushing, come-from-behind variety. The Mariners had winning records against the rest of the AL West teams.

2. A shout out to Seattle Times beat writer Ryan Divish. At the end of his notes package for the season's final game, he pointed out that Houston won the AL West with an 88-73 record, three games ahead of the M's -- who would have won the tiebreaker over the Astros had both teams finished with that record. Wrote Divish: "It should be noted that an 88-73 record is a 54% winning percentage."

Liut likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Starring likeness in the greatest bobblehead ever produced, Disco Choo. I still think they were overruns of Donnie Osmond bobbleheads the Dolans bought cheap.

[​IMG]

TheSportsPredictor likes this.
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yesterday had to be the first time that two teams celebrated clinching playoff berths on the same day on the same field, right?

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted