1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pete Rose is dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 30, 2024 at 7:06 PM.

1. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Pete Rose advertised everything in the late 1970s/early 1980s. Including this!

[​IMG]

You're welcome!

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Huge fan of Pete as a player. My Dad was a Cincinnati west-sider and I understand all the admiration from there. That little river rat got 4,256 hits in the big leagues. It really is remarkable.

But it was time to go. The Max doc painted him absolutely perfectly as a low-class scumbag. I didn't want to see him grow frail signing autographs--which you know he'd do, straining to raise his arm for every last $75 or whatever.

I don't give a shit about the HOF. The most tired debate in sports.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pete Rose kept Pete Rose out of the Hall of Fame.

brn623cl and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Thanks, d__b! :cool:

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Well, excuse the hell out of me for wanting baseball to uphold its own rules.

Gaylord Perry broke rules and was punished according to those rules.

So was Pete Rose.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't see your post.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

OK. Let me try to put it this way.

Pete Rose doesn't deserve a plaque after his death.

Baseball deserves a completely representative Hall of Fame.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This for me, a Phillies fan of a certain age, is personal. I KNOW Pete Rose was a low-class, compulsive gambling dirtbag. I am almost certain baseball knew he bet against his own team when he managed the Reds. BUT, without Pete Rose, there's no way the Phillies win their first ever World Series in their 97 years of existence and my 30 years of existence until then, without him. So despite what I know, I owe Pete Rose. What I think I owe is this. We should never ever forget just what a great ballplayer he was, one of the top 40 or 50 in history. That's my conflict, and I live with it.

9. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Your lofty standard is impossible to be consistent with.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  10. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Anyone who thought this wouldn't be the thread when Pete Rose died wasn't really thinking this through.

This is every text thread out there among baseball fans, too. And it'll be every column and talking head topic again as well.

SFIND and playthrough like this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. That was inevitable, especially when there's the type of division of opinion which is clearly evident here.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

If Rose hadn't agreed to the ban, he would have been found guilty and banned anyway. He thought by agreeing to the ban and the possibility of reinstatement, that he would be forgiven. Sorry, not sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted