1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pete Rose is dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 30, 2024 at 7:06 PM.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Personal foul, ending a sentence with a preposition, 15 yards from the spot of the foul and loss of down.

maumann likes this.
  2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

He deserved his haircut.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

"We'll get back to our special on 'Why Pete Rose Isn't a Hall-of-Famer' after this word from Fanduel."

4. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

There’s no rule against that.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Micky Mantle tells a great story about a young Rose in the Ken Burns Baseball series.

I wish I could find it online.

47:35

Last edited: Sep 30, 2024 at 10:04 PM
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The great Norm Clarke on Facebook:

Pete Rose R.I.P. I just heard the news, appropriately, from a friend in Cincinnati. I had good times and rough times with him but the latter never changed my opinion of him: he was the fiercest competitor I covered in my years as a journalist. Wouldn’t trade those years I covered him and the Reds for anything. Getting slapped by him in 2004 at N9NE steakhouse at the Palms didn’t change my ultimate opinion of him. He was an unapologetic force of nature. In youth baseball, he kept getting cut. But he never stopped hustling. The last time we talked, we shook hands, as if to say we were putting the past behind us. I have been asked hundreds of times if I thought he belonged in the Hall of Fame. As a baseball player, yes, but I qualified it by saying I thought he would go in posthumously. Not in his lifetime. He threatened to punch me when I broke the story in 1976 that he told his agent/attorney to tell the Reds management ”they can trade my ass to Philadelphia if they think I’m to rich for their blood.” He denied my reporting for months, calling it “Hogwash with a capital H-O-G-W.” He told Howard Cosell I made it up. Yes, he later apologized to me. Signed with Philadelphia in a record free agent deal and helped them win the World Series. Years later, after I left The AP to join the Rocky Mountain News in Denver, I broke story that he was officially retiring from baseball. He denied that too, on ESPN, saying “that guy in Denver never got anything right.” Truth be told I loved Pete Rose, the player.
    By the way, after he slapped me at the Palms, two guys immediately came up to my table: Palms owner George Maloof and Tom Brady. The latter wanted to meet Matt Drudge, who was our guest. In almost a whisper, I asked Maloof if he saw what just happened. No, he said. I replied, “Pete Rose just bitch slapped me.” Brady, who was shaking hands with Drudge, turned to me, wide eyed. “Pete Rose just bitch slapped you!”
    The next day I got a phone call from a former colleague at the Rocky Mountain News. Mark Wolf.
    “Congratulations,” he said.
    “For what?”
    “For giving up Pete Rose’s last hit.”

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You can't bet on your own teams, Fan Duel, Draft Kings, whatever. It's been made perfectly clear over the last year that there IS a line when it comes to that stuff. Yes, we're all in bed with sports betting. But no, it's not cool to use potentially inside information to make money for you or your friends.

That said, not willing to besmirch the man on the day of his passing.

qtlaw likes this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I officiate at the lower-end of things. High school football and basketball. Some college football. I don't even think of having betting app accounts anywhere. None. And this guy should be in the HOF? GTFO.

Great player. Asshole person. More than tarnished the game.

Yeah, he's dead.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

What kind of action would Vegas give me on Pete Rose taking the elevator down from our mortal plain and how much did Pete lay on it?

I mean he was a sleezeball of the highest order. He was also really good at hitting a ball. He was also someone who broke the cardinal rule of baseball.

There isn’t much cognitive dissonance in wanting him kept out of the Hall while wanting steroid users to be included. Steroids still requires you to be good. Betting calls into question everything everyone else did and more.

Rose is a story worth telling in baseball, but it isn’t a happy one. He was a terrible human but he’s worth talking with some reverence for the game.

qtlaw and outofplace like this.
  10. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I read this thread title and keep putting it into "Oklahoma" as "Poor Jud is Dead".

My kid is getting her BFA in Musical theatre in NYC. I get it honest.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

First rule of comedy:

Serve it up ...

... Knock it down.

maumann and MileHigh like this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, we're not.

Draft saved Draft deleted