1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pete Rose is dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 30, 2024 at 7:06 PM.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, Jackson had three hits in Game 2 and two hits in Game 3 and never made an error, so I don't know if there's much evidence of "flipping back" to anything.

He did hit .143 with two runners on (vs. 400 with one runner on and .500 with no one on), but he also hit .435 (10 of 23) with his team either leading or trailing by three runs or less. So it wasn't like he was getting all his hits at the tail end of the 9-1 and 10-5 losses.

The subject was Shoeless Joe, not Rose.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I was referring to the post about Shoeless Joe.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I appear to be trailing the thread. My apologies.

JC likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just threw on an addendum about Shoeless Joe on the tail end of a Pete Rose post.
    In part in response to the fairly common hot take today, "well now Pete Rose is dead, let's throw open the gates, let all the gambling guys in, let all the steroid guys in, let's let 'em all in."

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If a Joe Jackson slight doesn't bring hockeybeat back, nothing will.

Chef2 and dixiehack like this.
  6. justgladtobehere

He was also dumb as the day is long from everything I've read, so I don't know how much strategic thinking he could perform.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For probably 60 years, the primary defense of Joe Jackson was essentially, he was such a fuckin idiot anybody could talk him into anything, so the fix "was all the J**w gamblers fault."

But the Eliot Asinof book in 1962, then the movies in '86-'88 hinted that Jackson, while not exactly a Rhodes Scholar, was not a complete idiot, so a bit more explanation was required -- seemingly centered on the premise the gamblers double crossed Jackson and he was in large part a victim in the whole affair.

More recent research indicates he was hardly a completely hapless victim -- at very least he was aware what was going on and more likely he only quit participating in the fix because he wasn't getting paid what he wanted.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2024 at 9:06 PM
  8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

This is the truest thing anyone's posted here. Pete was quite obviously an adrenaline junkie, always chasing the next big hit. But the Hall of Fame is the very last hit of adrenaline anyone's ever gonna get. After that, everything about the player is in the past tense and all he has to look forward to is (hopefully) many decades of signing autographs in Cooperstown and receiving warm applause as he takes a seat behind the new guys during the HOF ceremony.

But Pete not being in the HOF kept him in the present tense and kept afloat the possibility he could still collect the biggest hit of all. His autograph signings in Cooperstown were sad, but they were also different from all the rest because he was PETE ROSE, with people still telling him he should be in the Hall of Fame, as opposed to Hall of Famer so-and-so just constantly being reminded everything he's done is in the past. I have to think somewhere deep down inside that Rose has known for at least the last 20 years he was never getting in...and that he'd commit another act of self-sabotage if he somehow was presented with a realistic chance to sway a new commissioner. But he could still chase the hit. If he was a Hall of Famer, he'd be just another guy, and Pete Rose could never handle that.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

But the question remains, were you there for the 1919 World Series?

justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. justgladtobehere

Can we give some credit to the Mick gambler who started it all?

#BostonIrishpride

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

They ... won ... the ... World ... Series.

Draft saved Draft deleted