1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Stumble. He was talking about how talking to Sandy Hook parents changed his mind on gun control and should have said "school shooting victims."

nietsroob17 and SFIND like this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm glad it didn't turn into a bloodbath. I think many people are unhappy about that. Most of them are on the right.

3. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

In other words ... as I often say, "People are stupid."

Neutral Corner, garrow and SFIND like this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm just glad one of the presidential nominees had more pressing issues than the debate / crossthread (literally in the middle of the debate)

SFIND likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Unless one candidate visibly pees his pants on stage, a VP debate does not influence the election outcome. The Pop Tarts Bowl of politics.

OscarMadison and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Vance’s low approval ratings is why. He certainly didn’t hurt them tonight.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I think I’ll wait on some evidence on that. Maybe it’s true. Maybe people interested in a VP debate have already formed their opinion.

8. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Not the NYT pitchbot, but an actual headline:

SFIND likes this.
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True. And no eating-pets moment to rile everyone up the rest of the week.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

No, you basically said that both of the candidates were having fun that night. That was your nuanced analysis

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Unless you know he lied on just about every answer.

But it's not about the nuaince with a VP

I'd like to see the ratings for number of eyeballs but I don't know how you erase two and a half months to have those terrible numbers and you have a month of whatever he's going to do that will offset any of it

Last edited: Oct 1, 2024 at 11:39 PM
    SFIND likes this.
  12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Let's first predicate this on the fact that none of this matters. The only two lines that anyone has ever remembered from any vice-presidential debate are first, "You sir are no Jack Kennedy," and in a distant second Admiral Stockdale's goofy, "Who am I? Why am I here?" opening in 1992, and that's a stretch (Jim Stockdale probably deserves a lot more respect than he got considering he got everything John McCain got in the Hanoi Hilton and then some). And Lloyd Bentsen lost, so who cares?

Begrudgingly, to his credit, J.D. Vance did a fairly good job over the first hour-plus of not coming off as an asshole, and there is some value in articulating opposition to Harris/Walz's platform without being a raving lunatic. I think the Mark McGwire-esque dodge wiped out whatever "winning" he did, however. Walz was nervous, and frankly, as someone who's served multiple terms in Congress and has been the governor of a decent-sized state for the better part of a decade, should have projected a better image. He botched the China thing, probably because he genuinely feels remorse about being caught in a lie. As @dick_nixon (a fun follow for me since I enjoy late 20th-century history) said, "Walz was coached to debate a different Vance." The congeniality of it all took a little bit out of his strengths. I honestly mostly watched to see if Walz was going to do a lot of Walz stuff, and he didn't. The overly coached Walz isn't very fun, but there's a reason you play that way in an event like this.

The downright stereotypical panel of "undecided Pennsylvania voters" leaned far enough to Walz that it almost seemed rigged (saying Vance evaded questions and seemed dishonest), but that very well might have been a small sample size.

SFIND likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted