1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Didn’t watch.

Who beat?

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My dad was raised without indoor plumbing.

Vance is the broiest of bros.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I was rooting for a Lloyd Bentsen moment that never came. So this one's a push. Won't move the needle.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Whitman rights etc.

6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Not surprised by this. There are no undecided voters, just uninformed ones or people unwilling to acknowledge they've made up their minds.

I don't believe in widespread media bias, but I believe political journalists have conditioned themselves to hold normal politicians to a different standard than the batshit ones.

As mentioned earlier, the fact that Vance wasn't feral on stage should not be the bar to say he did well. If you're going to hold Walz/Harris accountable for any deviations from facts they may use, do the same with Vance and Trump.

CBS' debate process was an abject failure. Presidential and vice presidential candidates should be grilled by informed moderators like they are on a witness stand where they can't plead the fifth. We have the technology to fact check in real time. Use it. Hell, have a designated fact checker as moderator. If it's a repeated lie, like the Haitian immigrant bullshit, you know it's coming. If it's a new lie, carve out time for corrections.

My frustration with this election is boiling over because the American public is too stupid and selfish to understand or care they're being lied to, and the media is terrified of holding anyone accountable.

To slightly modify a rant from Bruno Gianelli from the West Wing...

Instead of saying, "Well, excuse me, you right-wing, reactionary, xenophobic, homophobic, anti-education, anti-choice, pro-gun, Leave It To Beaver trip back to the Fifties...!", the media has cowered in the corner, and said, "Please. Don't. Hurt. Me."

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Vance is kind of dangerous in that he actually seems to believe in more of the terrible shit Project 2025 wants to do than Trump does but he far more articulate and disciplined in a debate. He was his best self most of last night, with the very big exception being the 2020 election. Walz was not. Vance even seemed to score some points on abortion, which should be impossible for his side. I thought Walz was the wrong choice as Harris's VP and I am more sure of that now than I was then.

Is a lot of that the low bar we have for Trump and Vance? Absolutely. Both sides tried to lower the bar, which was more effective for Vance. I'm not sure it will matter on election day, but this thing will likely be close. If Harris loses, I could easily see choosing Walz as one of the missteps people will discuss in a campaign that has been run well otherwise. I'm not sure he has hurt her chances of winning, but if a VP candidate can help, I think other options would have done that.

SFIND likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The only thing I really caught of it was Vance whining at one point, "I didn't think you were going to fact check us." To which Waltz should have blurted out, "How much lying do you plan to do?"

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Tim Walz qualified to be POTUS? Of course! We just had a creature with no qualifications (and was crazy, racist, sexist, ignorant, corrupt and treasonous) at all become POTUS. A poli sci professor with a doctorate in government but no experience in politics would be too risky for POTUS and we got Fox Frankenstein instead. Wake up America!

franticscribe and qtlaw like this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For his next act, Douhst gives his thoughts on the Atlanta Falcons’ first half performance in Super Bowl LI.

HanSenSE, garrow and tapintoamerica like this.
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

There were several opportunties for him to interject counterpunches that would have easily landed and he didn't

OscarMadison and TowelWaver like this.
  12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted