1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pete Rose is dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 30, 2024 at 7:06 PM.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's exactly the argument why "betting on your team to win" may not be as pure as it seems. However . . .

We've gone quite a ways the other way now. Load management, for starters. Pulling the starter with a no-hitter after six innings likely reduces your chances of winning THIS GAME in order to protect the owner's $300 million investment for . . . later games (that he'll be pulled from early, too).

So the question becomes, do the fans who paid money for THIS GAME deserve to see everything being done to win THIS GAME (barring concussions and continuing to play obviously hobbled players)? Where does protecting players fit with the whole "integrity of the game" thing where you come to the ballpark secure in the knowledge that your team will give its all to win today?

Is the player who crashes into the fence to make the game-saving catch to be lauded for his effort and reckless desire to win, or should he be criticized for jeopardizing his long-term health just to make a play?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Protecting players isn't just about protecting the owner's investment. Managers can't just focus on winning that one game. They have to focus on the long-term goal of making the playoffs and winning the World Series. That goal is served by load management. It is tough to win the World Series if your ace blew out his arm throwing 130 pitches in mid-May.

If Rose bet on his team some days and not others, it raises the question if he was ignoring the short and long-term goals of the team so he could win a bet.

JC likes this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

But the people attending the game don't have a single interest. Yes, they want to see a win, but they also want their team to do well overall. And if a team is winning overall, a fan is more likely to attend and see a win.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

While MLB would also like that fan to bet on the game.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Read "The Wax Pack" by Brad Balukjian for an entire chapter on Hebner. It's a thoroughly enjoyable read.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fantastic idea for a book that my 15-year-old self wishes he had thought of.

garrow and micropolitan guy like this.
  7. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Screw that. At today's prices, I need them trying to win, and playing all their best guys, on the one day a year I can afford to be there.

I Should Coco and dixiehack like this.
  8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Tank McNamara. A name I couldn't imagine reading ever again.

BartonK, Chef2, I Should Coco and 5 others like this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I snipped the first one out of the Oakland Tribune back in 1974, thinking "this is neat but they'll run out of ideas really fast."

The comic still exists 50 years later while the newspaper doesn't.

Dog8Cats, misterbc, garrow and 3 others like this.
  10. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

And those in the know about the days he didn't bet have certain information that may be valuable to share as well.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When does Trump weigh in with his trifecta of tweets and bad beats?

justgladtobehere likes this.
  12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I remember thinking as a kid it was kinda dorky. But I guess it's still going!

Draft saved Draft deleted