1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I mean also: Their party had led us to the Iraq disaster and the economy was in shambles. I'm not sure there's anything Palin could have said in a debate that changed that.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I knew people who really liked Palin during that week or two burst of publicity. But they were already committed McCain voters, or really anyone running under the sign of the elephant.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I agree with most of these comments. Walz overcame his slow start, but it was sad that he couldn't put Vance away at the end. When Vance tried to inform the world that Trump saved ObamaCare, Walz should have started digging the hole. Then when Walz refused to answer about the Jan. 6 riot, Walz should have pushed him into the hole.
    Walz biggest mistake is a non-issue, when he was in China 40 years ago.
    I question the importance of this "debate" when both guys were leashed and trying to answer in the way Trump and Harris would want them to answer. It's a tricky mental game: "What do I want to say, but what does my boss want me to say?"

TowelWaver likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The former Republican campaign guy Stuart Stevens posted on Twitter that candidates have two options in a debate. Make it a hot one or a cold one. Trump always chooses hot of course, but for whatever reasons, Vance and Walz both opted for the cold approach. This led partisans on both sides to feel that their tigers let down the side, but it's worth noting how both their approval ratings shot up among those who watched the debate.

5. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

If they keep telling us who they are, believe them.

The party IS Trump. It IS MAGA.

garrow and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Remember the "Sarah!" bumper stickers?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Project 2025 alarmism feels a little like Green New Deal FAQ alarmism (which, to some degree, I engaged in).

I am not talking about the content of the two things, but the certainty around "yes, really, this is exactly what will happen to America."

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Nope. My buddy made some bumper stickers with him and me on them as candidates. Limited edition.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Except under Trump, one and one and one may not equal three.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

So another Yale guy aiming for the Oval. You'd think we'd learn from the last idiot.

Woody Long likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty clear what we need -- more black voters.

upload_2024-10-2_14-12-21.png

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The Palin issue boiled down to two things:

you had an elderly candidate that might die in office, so you were essentially picking a replacement

as more people got to know Palin, it was an indictment on McCain's judgment in that THIS was who he chose not just as a running mate but his successor should he die in office.

It's where we were with Biden last time and Trump now -- you're assuming the next guy will be in charge at some point.

Draft saved Draft deleted