1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pete Rose is dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 30, 2024 at 7:06 PM.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I never meant to imply Rose would not have been a great player in today's era, even if he did not adjust. Rose was simply to good a hitter. But I don't think he would have self promoted himself as a singles hitter and would have played a different style.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2024 at 9:02 AM
    sgreenwell likes this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Compared to Gil Thorp, which the Tribune sports section ran next to it, Tank was a cutting edge comic!

EDIT: That would be the Chicago Tribune.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2024 at 12:37 PM
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Gil Thorp and Tank McNamara are both soldiering on, online. Think I'm gonna get myself back up to speed.

In fact, it just hit me; maybe the world needs a Tank McNamara/Gil Thorp crossover comic event.

Tank is now hosting a cable sports documentary series called "Stopwatch" which does deep digs into contemporary issues. He flies to Milford to look into the legendary Mudlarks program. First person he meets is local sports media gadfly Marty Moon, angling for a job in big time media. Hilarity ensues.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2024 at 1:41 AM
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I’m sure Tank will stop for a burger, fries and a side order of teen drama at “The Bucket.”

maumann likes this.
  5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I swear that I remember one of the investigators say, in the aftermath of Rose agreeing to be declared permanently ineligible, that they were *thisclose* to having ironclad evidence that he bet against his own team, and that's why he so quickly agreed to it, ending the investigation.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

This was fantastic. I'm not sure there's a better writer about the Hall of Fame (and HOF-adjacent players) than Jay.

UNCGrad likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Has the cause of death been reported?

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

Read this quote from the fangraphs piece:

Regarding the interaction with Coffey, Rose told an Associated Press reporter, “I’m going to tell you one more time. I’m here for the Philly fans. I’m here for my teammates. I’m here for the Phillies organization. And who cares what happened 50 years ago? You weren’t even born. So you shouldn’t be talking about it, because you weren’t born. If you don’t know a damn thing about it, don’t talk about it.”

Who else does it sound like?

11. tapintoamerica

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You know Pete, OJ, McGwire and Stinky all swapped notes.

Draft saved Draft deleted