1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 6 college football thread: Calgorithm is Gonna Get You

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 30, 2024 at 9:37 AM.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is old, but I don't care. Gotta respect the man for not stopping the beat, in more ways than one.

Liut, SixToe, maumann and 1 other person like this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What's the fascination with Kiffin? His greatest talent seems to be moving around.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Must be the lack of any sort of conference championship.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The UCF-Gus relationship is a toughie. They really want him to win, but mostly because they hope he can springboard back to an SEC job like Arkansas.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Games I like this week:
    • UNLV -6.5 vs. Syracuse — I held back on UNLV last week because of the quarterback thing, but obviously he might have been more of a problem than an asset. Nice team, nice line. Give me the Rebels.

• Navy -9.5 at Air Force — The leg of the Commander in Chief Trophy series that doesn’t get talked about ... well, ever. This time, for good reason. Navy looks like it might be back to respectability and Air Force is pretty terrible.

• Arizona State -2.5 vs. Kansas — I don’t think I can go a week without betting on at least one of the Arizona schools. They complete me (or at least my gambling Saturday when they play in the late night window). This is the better of the two options this week. Arizona State is actually decent.

• UCLA +28 at Penn State — UCLA might be a “bad team that gets a ton of points every week and covers by the skin of their teeth” pick every week. This is the third week in a row they’ve gotten 24 or more against a ranked team, and they covered the first two. Do they have another 34-14 loss in them? I’m willing to bet that they do.

• Missouri +2.5/ML at Texas A&M — Texas A&M is like the guy who keeps engaging in drunken hook-ups with ugly girls and their buddies won’t let them live it down. They’re not that bad. Notre Dame is OK, and people seem to forget that Bowling Green gave Penn State all it could handle before it played A&M, yet A&M has been ripped to shreds for those two games.
    That said, I’m not sure why this line isn’t flipped. Missouri keeps slipping even though they’re winning. I can see this one going either way, so I’ll play the odds and say Mizzou squeezes it out.

• Bowling Green -16.5 at Akron — Speaking of Bowling Green, I’m keeping an eye on them. They’re maybe a few plays away from taking down two ranked P5 teams on the road. I certainly think they can dust a bad Akron team. Hopefully they keep getting bettable lines as they meander through the MAC.

And some games I want to like, but can’t:
    • Arizona -6.5 vs. Texas Tech — This was -4.5 when I saw it earlier in the week, but almost a full touchdown might be too much for me. I like Arizona, but not that much. Or maybe I will anyway, since this is the only late-night game this week.

• UCF -2.5 at Florida — I’m all aboard the Billy Napier will soon be unemployed train, but I’m not sure I can trust UCF right now after that debacle against Colorado. Napier might be able to skate on that thin ice just a little while longer before they hit Murderer's Row in the SEC.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You’re gonna lose your money on Mizzou.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Somebody's been doing their side crunches to be able generate that much power from the obliques for that cross while wearing a sousaphone. Good on him.

Liut and Batman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted