1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hurricane Helene relief: The SJ.com giving thread (with two matching opportunities!)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 1, 2024 at 1:17 PM.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I've donated $300 total. $100 to each of the orgs I listed.

Songbird, dixiehack and FileNotFound like this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So by my Bammer math, that’s $450 dollars that we’ve shaken loose from the magical charity matching tree. Let’s give til it hurts someone else!

FileNotFound and Driftwood like this.
  3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

4. dixiehack

Thursday morning brings word from the shadow realm.

Shoot, if they’re still willing to spend, I say let’s shake the rest of the money tree loose. Even small contributions matter a lot. If you are able and have not yet had the chance to donate (or haven’t announced it on this thread) please consider doing so. And thank you all for your generosity.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2024 at 10:46 AM
  5. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Our daughter's school is sending 30 drop buckets - 5 gallons each - donated by Home Depot. They will be filled with food and medical supplies and sent to North Carolina. We also donated cash to this same effort.

dixiehack and franticscribe like this.
  6. dixiehack

Was trying to see if this went through the Home Depot Foundation and as best I can tell that’s just their internal giving arm. But I did notice this awesome sentence. D’oh!

@kickoff-time may you provide the charity’s name and amount your family donated so that we can, umm, kickoff a Friday of giving to help people roll into the weekend with solid vibes?

And if anybody has anything else they may have given, please let us know. Even if you just rounded up your grocery total for the Red Cross, it all counts and it all inspires the next well-meaning person who just hasn’t hit the link yet for their favorite charity.

7. dixiehack

RISE AND SHINE PEOPLE! WE’VE GOT NEWS

Because this is the greatest place on the internet we mostly don’t want others to find out about, we now have a SECOND anonymous donor who has put up an ADDITIONAL $1000 worth of matching funds for the donations jar here at Jeers.

I’ve never been happier to put a moderator back to work. May one of you update the thread title and the original post? (I can no longer modify that one.)

(Tagging @MileHigh since he drew the short straw for the afternoon shift. May you please make that changes to the original post? Appreciate it.)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2024 at 2:41 PM
  8. Situation

Situation Member

9. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

It was done through a private parents group. One of the women has a friend who is a pilot in North Carolina and they are being sent to him to drop into areas that have been cut off by Helene's destruction. As far as I know has nothing to do with Home Depot or the Home Depot Foundation.

dixiehack likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If you want to see some good being done and the extent of the destruction, follow former NASCAR driver Greg Biffle on Twitter. He's been taking his helicopter out daily.

2muchcoffeeman and dixiehack like this.
  11. three_bags_full

If it took him six attempts to land a Robinson helicopter in that fucking football field, he needs some serious additional training.

franticscribe and Driftwood like this.
  12. three_bags_full

I mean, good on him for helping, but…

Driftwood, FileNotFound and dixiehack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted