1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoman shakeup

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Della9250, Aug 19, 2023.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I have a friend who quit his job of 14 years, with a kid in college and wife who teaches, to become a Substack columnist and social media influencer.

I think he's having some near-midlife crisis or something. Haven't figured out yet what he can tell me in his Sub newsletter that I may not already know. It's not like he's going to be charting new territory.

They don't live lavishly. Maybe his wife's income is enough, perhaps along with savings, for him to give it a whirl. Another friend has asked me about Sub a couple of times, too. IMO not worth the effort unless you already have some kind of following for subscribers, or just want some extra beer money. Or you live in a car near Walmart.

2. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Substack is a terrible model unless you can get at least $10k a month in gross revenue, minimum.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm amazed by the story of a veteran journalist who doesn't get a lawyer to review a contract with clauses re: quasi-ownership and the obligations therein. But I suppose this is what can happen when you're dealing with someone who breaks an implicit trust.
    This ultimately gets back to an industry so greedy and contemptuous of its employees that it drives many of them to unproven ventures that are just as wicked.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That struck me, too. And especially when you're dealing with someone (Koehler) who was apparently well-known to be a miserable prick to begin with.

But it definitely speaks to the desperation to get out of an abusive relationship and get to any greener pastures that may be out there, even if it is too good to be true.

HanSenSE, FileNotFound and Liut like this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely. I can think of a couple inflection points in my career where I wanted greener pastures so badly, to be able to do the job I know I could do, and could have very easily been sucked into the romance and potential of a start-up. Being a full-time freelancer got me used to the "checks being in the mail," so the parts about waiting to get paid wouldn't have fazed me for a while. I can't fault Tramel for taking the ownership stake either, in that moment.

The whole fiasco is just chilling.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    Liut likes this.
  6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This was an incredibly well-sourced brutal takedown written without any apparent personal animus. It let people who wanted to explain themselves do so, and it hung people with their own words. Also exposes “fake it til you make it” culture for what it actually is.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

SixToe likes this.
  8. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Holy fucking shit — did these guys not have an attorney read these guarantor documents?

Tarheel316 likes this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

12. BurnsWhenIPee

Good for her. Sounds like the new gig may even be better than her previous one as a straight sports columnist. More freedom to do the long-form takeouts, hop in on big news stories when the need/opportunity arises.

Draft saved Draft deleted