1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 6 college football thread: Calgorithm is Gonna Get You

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 30, 2024 at 9:37 AM.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It wouldn't shock me. I figure it's a toss up game at worst.
    It's an odds bet, not a mortal lock. If I bet it it'll be Mizzou to win outright and try to squeeze a couple extra dollars out of it. I might even skip it. There are several other 11 a.m. games I like on Saturday.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

UTEP is giving me hope that Kennesaw State might not go winless after all. What an awful team.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'm going to the UTEP/FIU game on 10/16 as the finale of our Fall Football Tour II trip. AFA @ UNM on 10/11, La Tech at NMSU on 10/15 and then the Miners-FIU the next night. Should be warmer than the 2023 MACtion tour.

I Should Coco and dixiehack like this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If Phoenix weather this month is any indication of New Mexico temps, you still might have triple digit daytime highs.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Great time of year in that part of the country. Hope you hit White Sands and some of the other great spots in New Mexico. If you are looking for an interesting historical spot, check out Columbus NM near the border. The location of the only land invasion of foreign forces since the War of 1812, Pancho Villa. Not much to see, but there is a plaque/monument.

Saw Texas Tech at NM one year, fun place to watch a game. And the scenery between ABQ and El Paso is amazing.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2024 at 5:58 AM
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I don’t understand why people live there.

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Years ago, after hearing about Phoenix weather on the news, I called a friend of mine who lived there. I asked her, "Did it really get hot enough to shut down the airport?"

Sure enough, it did. The heat softened the runways enough where it wasn't safe to land planes. That's stupid hot.

I Should Coco likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I Should Coco and MileHigh like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Do teams still do these "flash cards" for offensive plays?

upload_2024-10-4_9-37-54.jpeg

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

On a USC road trip a few years ago (Helton era), we met a couple who were so proud of their son because he was a sign-holder for the football team. Mom was beaming: "And this year we was promoted. He gets to run out and retrieve the tee after kickoffs. He actually gets on the field."

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A rumination that ended in a mild lament and, unsurprisingly, found no opposition to his thesis. A sports essay written for people who don't actually like sports, in other words, an apt summary of many takes from national sportswriters, whose first goal typically revolves around being a progressive-thinking person, followed by some interest in the sports task at hand.

John Branch thinks he's better than the topic he just covered. His previous work indicates he thinks football should probably stop existing, and that's absolutely his prerogative, but it colors whatever he'd do on the subject.

And if the big time NYT reporter wanted to talk to the AD, you find the guy on the sideline before the game and you ask your question. Like college beat reporters sometimes have to do. It's possible Branch forgot how to do that, though.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think play cards are pretty much done now that they have helmet communications.

Draft saved Draft deleted