1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Lions QB Greg Landry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Oct 5, 2024 at 11:05 AM.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My then junior high girlfriend thought he was a hunk. She had a big magazine photo of him taped up inside her locker next to a little bitty picture of me.
    :eek::eek:

He made headlines for a couple seasons as a tough power running QB in the same general mode as Joe Kapp, then tried to become more of a pocket passer.

Somehow I had the impression he was seriously sick the last few years, but I can't find any references.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2024 at 1:11 PM
  3. Ookpik

Ookpik Active Member

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I remember that 5-0 game quite vividly; I was at my grandmother's house in Saginaw for a big Christmas party. My dad and two uncles were pissed, as was I.

That game was the last official action for Alex Karras; he was cut the next training camp. But he was still playing well at the time. Landry and the Lions' offense didn't do diddly, as the score indicated.

maumann likes this.
  6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Made the cover of Time Magazine. The other five QBs got to the Hall…gives some perspective on how good/well thought of Landry was for a spell.

IMG_4500.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2024 at 3:56 PM
    maumann and Liut like this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The differentation was important and appreciated on this thread because my first thought was Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was too young to remember his NFL career, but I remember him as a prematurely gray-haired quarterback in the USFL.

Then he got signed late in the ‘84 season by the Bears who needed him as their sixth string quarterback (Walter Payton was the fifth string), started the final game, coincidentally against the Lions, and won.

RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted