1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024 at 7:49 AM.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Crowd in Philly sounds insane. And Wheeler is dealing. Tall order for the Mets today.

Senga looked solid in two innings, despite the leadoff homer.

I love playoff baseball.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The decision worked, but did they need to yank Bibee after giving up a two-out single in the fifth inning? He had thrown 76 pitches without giving up a run and had a 5-run lead. I guess maybe they are saving his arm, but that seems like a little overmanaging.

Also, I've never been a fan of openers. I know Holton has mostly been great this season, but I do root for openers to fail as he did today so maybe managers will stop doing it. Just let Olson start the damn game rather than have him come in with two men on.

tapintoamerica and maumann like this.
  3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

What is this bullshit of playoff games on MAX only? I don't give a flying f about missing a game or two in the regular season to AppleTV and Roku, or to wherever the NFL puts a sometimes game, but playoffs belong on where most people can watch.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It's on TBS too.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Ok, if that's the case, then I denounce myself yet again.

6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

They hadn’t played in 8 days and have tomorrow off. Vogt got all of his top relievers a live inning and they’ll all be fresh in Game 2. It was very good managing.

maumann likes this.
  7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Torkelson has been a disappointment to be sure, but it was a mistake inasmuch as all development from the draft to the Bigs has dead ends. He massacred the ball in practically every situation at Arizona State and was a consensus 1/1, a process that was only reinforced when COVID killed the amateur season about two weeks in, meaning there was no opportunity to collect any disconcerting data. A lot of that draft class is just now breaking the surface, but if you look at the top 10, Heston Kjerstad (O's) lost an entire year to myocarditis and has not really broken out yet in 52 MLB games. Three of the top nine have yet to make it to the majors and at this point, the only person in the first round of that draft to achieve 3 WAR in a single season (so, above-average MLB contributor) is Garrett Crochet, and a fat lot of good that's done for the White Sox. Expand it to the top five rounds and the only big hit in there is Spencer Strider to the Braves, with second place going to Cardinals shortstop Masyn Winn. As for the Tigers, that draft has led to backup catcher and 90-grade name Dillon Dingler and starting second baseman Colt Keith. This isn't the NFL or NBA. Sometimes 1/1 is an Adley Rutschman and sometimes it's a Mickey Moniak.

A couple weeks ago, when the idea of the Tigers making the postseason seemed still rather difficult to conceive, I allowed myself to engage in some offseason "rosterbation." I'm still of the opinion that Torkelson can hit, but he probably can't hit in Detroit. I think, as was suggested here, it might be worthwhile to see if there's a trade partner where he can go and not be the Chosen One. Pete Alonso is probably going to command some stupid money, and since they're probably bidding against Steve Cohen, I don't like my chances there. Bregman would be a nice add. I expect Chris Ilitch to open the checkbook in much a similar way as Mike did once the Tigers finally got good in the late 2000s. There isn't a lot on the shopping list that seems worth the price and doesn't block things they currently have growing. I'd love for them to bring Verlander back for one more go-round, but fan service doesn't seem like it's Scott Boras or Chris Ilitch's forte.

Liut and maumann like this.
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Is Zack Wheeler underrated? I know he's revered up and down the I-95 corridor, but I'm wondering if the layman knows just how good this guy has been.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Every 3rd guy in the Phillies crowd looks like Big Dom.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

He missed a couple of years with the Mets with Tommy John. When healthy, he was a really good Met. He's been absolutely outstanding with Philly.

Sale will win Cy Young, but there's a strong case for Wheeler. He's an ace.

Edit to answer your question: I think he is quietly underrated.

Fred siegle likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Didn't take Hoffman long to squander Wheeler's work.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, quite out of character for him. He's been nails.

Draft saved Draft deleted