1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's time for me to go back to Montana.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That not only puts Frog Creek in the eye wall but the east side of it. Hello, Progressive? I'm about to file a claim.

We are no more than a couple of miles from the Manatee Hillsborough county line.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I've been monitoring this "front" just locally in hopes that it'll finally bring proper fall, and it gets weaker every time I refresh my weather app. From a thousand miles away, I bear bad news for the Bay Area.

6. Driftwood

As recently as 48 hours ago, I posted that the NHC wasn't paying much attention to this storm. It was just supposed to be a rain maker.
    Fast forward to now, and it's apocalyptic. Good grief, things can escalate quickly.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

My grandfather - a WWII veteran, mind you - used to talk about Hazel with a thousand yard stare in his eyes as if it was the only hurricane that ever mattered.

It remains the only hurricane to do serious damage to his beloved Greensboro and it wasn't until Fran in '96 that we had another one do serious damage in any part of the Piedmont. Fran really hammered the Triangle more than the Triad.

I didn't live through Hazel, but I have been through Fran, Floyd, Matthew and a few other doozies. My perception a week out is that Helene was far worse - and of those Floyd was the one that was worst for me personally as I was living down east at the time.

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  8. Twirling Time

I never lived on a coast* but the worst tropical storm I ever endured was Bill in 2015. Bad news is it wrecked my roof and I was set back $4K in deductible. Good news is I was the first in my cul-de-sac to get 25-year architectural!

* For a few years as a kid I did live in Baton Rouge and Morgan City in the definite danger zone but not directly on the coast. My mom told me before how Camille scared her spitless but veered away at the last minute.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2024 at 7:24 PM
    franticscribe, Driftwood and maumann like this.
  9. Driftwood

I recommend this book.

[​IMG]

franticscribe likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Jay Barnes has a permanent meal ticket. Good for him.

(I double-checked the pronoun. You never know these days.)

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My weatherman friend in Panama City is always very measured with his social media posts and wrote tonight that this one would be "very, very bad." That stopped me cold.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted