1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part-time digital engagement editor, Tahoe Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HanSenSE, Oct 8, 2024.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

INSANE you are offering $20 an hour and 20 hours a week IN TAHOE! and requiring a Bachelors. Absolutely NUTS!!! They'd be better off looking for a high school student.

Seriously, they better hope a blackjack dealer who rakes is looking to transition into another field. The homeless people make more than this in Tahoe.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2024
    2muchcoffeeman and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, it almost has to be, doesn't it.

Tarheel316 and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

It is absolutely infuriating to see these part-time positions at decent-sized outlets where they expect serious experience and education, and are wanting to only pay trash wages.

These fucking places get all the scorn and shitty work that they deserve.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The only way I could see that working might be as a remote situation, maybe a stay-at-home partner who's the second income. I didn't see anywhere that Tahoe residency was required.

Hey, I get a lot done from my couch. But no way in hell I'm doing it for $400/week.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

You're supposed to have "a passion to grow our digital community" while making $400/week. Fuck. You.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  8. awriter

awriter Active Member

Paging PickleJuice?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And they likely won't hesitate to toss you if the PVs don't come in. In fact, the worst thing you could be in this job is really good right away, then you'll have to live up to those metrics all the time. Oh yeah, and for $20 an hour.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

I've been out of the business for several years, and around 2021, I got a cold call from a former editor who was at a different paper and was hard up for a stringer to cover a high school football game. I really wasn't interested, but listened because we had a prior relationship.

He said they were willing to pay, for a game story and photos, for a game that was about 45 minutes away, the grand sum of $30. I was probably more polite than I should have been when I turned it down. He couldn't believe that $30 was a ridiculous price to expect someone to cover that for.

Anytime I get frustrated in my current non-newspaper world, I think of that.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That’s ridiculous. I covered high school games as a stringer right out of college and was paid $40 a game. And that was THIRTY YEARS AGO.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

Exactly. He asked if I knew anyone I could recommend he reach out to, and I told him no way I'm going to give him a name for him to insult with an offer like that. Then he asked what he should be willing to pay - I told him the absolute lowest, given travel, photos and a story, would be $125, and probably have to go higher than that for a quality stringer. That ended the conversation.

Draft saved Draft deleted