1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

SEC, B10: No private funds; football not 'broken'

College football not broken? Of course it is. Between the inability to control NIL to teams playing in conferences two time zones away - and admittedly chasing dollars simply to pay for the outlays they've already made, it most definitely is broken. When you have ADs and conferences lobbying Congress for NIL legislation, players quitting their teams at midseason because NIL deals weren't lined up - figure it is only a matter of time between a betting scandal causes serious damage.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They meant it wasn't broken for THEM.

wicked likes this.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Exactly.

"We've got the power. We're not gonna give it up. So we don't need any other conferences seeking outside sources of cash to challenge us or even up the playing field. You'll take what we give you, and be happy with it.

"And by the way, thanks to you G5 and non-football schools for paying the bulk of the NIL settlement even though we're the guys throwing around all the cash."

The SEC and Big Ten are tantamount to a cartel.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

First, they came for the Big East, but my school wasn't in the Big East so I said nothing.
    Then, they came for the Pac 12, but my school wasn't in the Pac 12, so I said nothing.
    Then...

Dog8Cats likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

... They came for the ACC but nobody wanted any of them except for 2 schools that they flirted with. So the story ends there. Sorry, Adolf Sankey.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Batman and HanSenSE like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Move makes a lot of sense for Hawaii. Travel is in the same footprint as the Big West, which was a concern when they fled the WAC in 2012.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2024 at 1:45 AM
Draft saved Draft deleted