1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m assuming Alex Cobb goes in Game 1 for the Guardians. There will be no early hook. They’ll need innings.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That was where I was starting from, was around 1920 when the NFL and NHL got rolling and there was more than one major pro sports league.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Look up the history. The NFL in the early '20s wasn't exactly rolling. It was basically a series of exhibition games featuring Red Grange and the Bears against all-comers teams of tough galoots from the industrial north. Because of Canada, the NHL was more, although hardly exactly, like what we know today as the Original Six.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

OK, existing then. Point being, that's roughly the dawn of our modern sports set-up.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I do not mean to be pedantic, Batman, but the real start of the modern sports setup didn't begin until the end of WW2. NBA founded and the AAFC founded in 1946. Also the first huge explosion of sports attendance in every sport since the early '20s.

6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

So you’re saying Vogt might let him go deep into the fourth?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Rooting against a Subway Series means rooting for the Dodgers, which is causing a major religious crisis here.

qtlaw likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

NYY v NYM > NYY v LAD

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I think anything over about 33k is considered a sellout. In the regular season thousands of people use the Ballpark Pass to go to games, which gives them entry and standing room only to every game for a flat monthly fee. That really inflated attendance numbers this season.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. brn623cl

brn623cl Member

Maybe moving the game up to early afternoon caused some to swallow their tickets because 1 PM was a hassle. Just spitballing.

Draft saved Draft deleted