1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 6 -- This Seat is for Sale(h)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 8, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Here's a feel-good story from today that I'm sure flew 100 miles under the radar.
    On Wednesday afternoon, the Patriots signed center Ben Brown off of the Raiders' practice squad. He flew overnight to Boston, landed, went straight to Foxborough for his physical and first practice, and on Sunday got his first NFL start. By all accounts he was a bright spot in an otherwise rough day for the Pats.

Brown's back story is that he was an undrafted free agent out of Ole Miss in 2022; re-tore his biceps that preseason (the same injury he suffered in college that likely kept him from being a late-round pick); hung around on IR with the Bengals for a year; got released and signed with Seattle; played two series in one game in 2023; got released again in November; spent a week on the Cardinals practice squad; signed a futures deal with the Raiders; got signed to the Raiders' practice squad at the end of this year's training camp; and stayed there until the Patriots grabbed him to patch their banged-up offensive line.
    The tl;dr version — This is his fifth team and second regular-season game in 2 1/2 years, and he finally got a chance to start a game with a team he signed with five days ago.

Ben is good people. I've known he and his family for a long time and done some stories on him. It makes me happy to see him get a chance to succeed, and that hard work, perseverance, and all of the other good things are paying off for someone who deserves to have them rewarded.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I watched the whole game, more fool me, and Brown did play well amid the chaos that is the Pats' offensive line.

Liut and Batman like this.
  3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Reminded me of Sid Vicious in WCW

Batman likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Joe says, "Challenge accepted."

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Similar break to Mr. Eudy. Hutchinson is getting immediate surgery. Gotta worry about nerve damage.

Batman and Liut like this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Wondering why they showed it if it as bad as you say.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

It's not as Theismann or Krumrie bad. Still, it is bad.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2024 at 10:00 PM
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fox refused to replay it on the broadcast, of which I'm not a huge fan. We're watching football, we know it's dangerous. Tell viewers "you may want to turn away and we'll only show this once."

Liut likes this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Dave Gettleman set back the Giants franchise a decade with the Daniel Jones pick. He’s just awful.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The pick? Bad.
    Extending him 4 years and 160 million? Mind boggling.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He could have been this year but chose to stay.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I honestly thought it was a joke when I heard it. Made zero sense.

I guess as far as awful contracts go, it’s good to live in the Cleveland/Watson era.

Draft saved Draft deleted