1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 8 thread - Austin Powers: The Horn Who Hooked Me

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 14, 2024.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The SEC isn't getting five in. Four tops. Texas, Georgia, and two of Bama, Tennessee, LSU. Big 10 will get three, likely Oregon, Ohio State and Penn State, Clemson, Miami, Boise, Big 12 champ and maybe the runner-up - BYU and Iowa State shouldn't have more than one loss each at the end.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

After every win. No matter the opponent.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

A three-loss team will make it.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Can't forget Notre Dame, either. Their one loss was absolutely terrible, but they're lurking at No. 11 in the AP poll and if they run the table they'll have several Top 25 wins before it's all said and done. I don't see how you could leave them out.

5. tapintoamerica

Wonder if ND and Navy, which play next week, have ever met when both were ranked.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Alabama could go 7-5 and make it.
    But seriously, I do think this is one of the side effects of conference realignment. We're getting all of these teams playing each other, and winding up with games we never would have seen before — certainly not at this stage of the season, when you want them — like Texas-Georgia, USC-Penn State, and Oregon-Ohio State. Obviously, that means you're going to have good Top 25 teams with one, two, or even three losses whereas before they might have gotten through with zero or one.
    I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. It just means we'll need to recalibrate our sense of what's a good record, what's a bad record, and what's an acceptable record.

Michael_ Gee and tapintoamerica like this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Surely they did way back in the 40s, 50s or 60s?

Typist Clerk and I Should Coco like this.
  8. tapintoamerica

Yep. In 1945 at least now that I check.

Batman likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I were on the committee it would come down to best win/worst loss, do you have a legit claim of being the best team in the country? Make the results on the field mean something. Speaking of that....

ESPN's FPI Surprised by Oregon Ducks' Upset of Ohio State

What the hell does recruiting data have to do with anything? The only numbers I care about are on the scoreboard. Sagarin has Ohio State over Oregon as well.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’ve mentioned this before, but 10-win campaigns have gone from being the stuff of legends to now just the minimum ante for what is considered a “good” season. Maybe we are seeing this be recalibrated for the top of the food chain and it will once again be treated with a sense of awe.

Batman likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That figures. Back when Army and Navy were last serious football powers.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The last time I can recall a service academy with a legit national championship shot was Navy with Roger Staubach in 1963. They would have been seen as Number 1 had they beaten Texas in the Cotton Bowl, which they most emphatically did not.

Draft saved Draft deleted