1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 8 thread - Austin Powers: The Horn Who Hooked Me

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 14, 2024.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Midshipmen had two losses that season, both at the Cotton Bowl. They lost to SMU during the regular season before Texas.

On the way, they beat Maryland, Bill & Mary, VMI, Michigan in the Big House, No. 3 Pitt, a 2-7 Notre Dame in front of Touchdown Jesus, Maryland, Duke and Army. A stout schedule for the era.

Dallas wasn't too kind to guys who had served in the Navy that year. (Jackie asked that the Army-Navy game be played as planned after the assassination.)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2024
    Baron Scicluna likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

SixToe and I Should Coco like this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This is the first time since Oct. 3, 1960, that Army and Navy have both been in the Top 25 poll.

AP rankings by conference

SEC:
    1-5-7-8-11-14-18-19
    Big Ten: 2-3-4-16-22-24
    ACC: 6-10-20-21
    Big 12: 9-13-17
    Others: Indy (ND) at 12; Mountain West (Boise) at 15; AAC (Army-Navy) at 23-25.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2024
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I was thinking that was when Staubach was in Annapolis, but that predates him.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Damn cow must have been butting Gundy in the head back in 2007, too.

Batman likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

AP Poll did not come out after the bowls until 1965 and after that not again until making the change for good in 1968.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As an Indiana fan I never thought I'd see a day where I'd say "I wish I had 10 tickets to the IU-Nebraska game." Sold out and people are starting to pay well above face value for an Indiana football game.

9. dixiehack

MTSU’s student section, such as it is, has someone with a sign proclaiming “We want Vandy.”

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. dixiehack

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We were at the La. Tech-NMSU game tonight, leg 2 of Fall Football Trip II. Beautiful 75-degree night, calm winds, great game, Aggies win 33-30 in 2 OT. NMSU blocked a FG on the final play of regulation to preserve the tie.

NMSU has an outstanding band, and a nice stadium that's perfectly sized (28k) for their program. Probably 10-12K at the game, not bad for a 7 p.m. kickoff on a school night, and the crowd was into it all night long. Free parking, $30 for 40-yard line seats, only $8 for a 16-ounce Coors. It was simply an outstanding experience and it proves once again there's a place for G5 in college football. You can have great games that are a blast to watch and mean something to the players, coaches and fans even if the players aren't being paid hundreds of thousands in NIL money.

On to UTEP on Wednesday night, back home to Microville on Thursday. Definitely warmer than Michigan last year! And New Mexico has some great food and a lot of friendly people, especially in a smaller city like Las Cruces.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You’ll be getting your fill of great Mexican food between Las Cruces and El Paso.
    You’ll get back home, yell “Hola, mi amigos!!!!”
    People will look at you like you spent 4 years in Juarez.

micropolitan guy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted