1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I dislike the "talent" pool argument, how expansion has thinned the pool. Let's not forget that the population in 2024 is much greater than in 1948/1980 etc.

And yeah, I can't standing thinking about another Yankee WS.

JC likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Observers have been prone to long-winded psalms of praise for the Cleveland Guardians. Most of those pieces failed to mention that they were 27th in MLB in runs per game after the All-Star Break.
    Nothing bugs me more in baseball than a team that gets the other guy in a tight spot, loading the bases with one out, for example, only to swing at the first pitch thereafter and pop it up. The Guardians have some lovely parting gifts backstage.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

This, and the fact that you're not going to win a best-of-seven (that barring rain, will have no more than two off days) with one and a half starting pitchers.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

#2 batter, 2 on, 1 out, 3-1 FB, foul, 3-2 FB, jam shot to 3B.

5. tapintoamerica

Also true.
    They improved offensively from last year, but they're still largely a collection of slap hitters. They'd fit right in with an artificial turf, cookie-cutter ballpark in the National League circa 1985.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

A good observation. Stephen Kwan would be a fucking annoying and effective ballplayer pretty much any day between now and 1903 (not counting the steroid era).

7. tapintoamerica

He's great. Clutch. Smart. Makes contact. Earns his bullshit hits.

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

That’s one-half more than Detroit had.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Tigers wouldn't have had a snowball's chance in hell either. And Reese Olson might count for half at this point, he was getting the quick hook not because he was bad but because he missed all of August and into September with a shoulder problem and was still building back up.

Liut likes this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m guessing the team with 26 affiliates was the Brooklyn Dodgers, since Branch Rickey loved building a huge system.

I’d guess the team with 10 affiliates was the St. Louis Browns, since they were so poor that they’d have to sell their best players to other teams so they could keep the franchise afloat.

11. tapintoamerica

Tigers did so much with so little.

Liut likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

You're half right.
    1948 Minor League Affiliates | Baseball-Reference.com

Baron Scicluna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted