1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It’s ready good. I felt they tried to have their Emmy moment in the first 5 minutes but it’s been nonstop since. The Mom from HIMYM is knocking it out of the park.

I do wonder where Batman is but more as an intellectual exercise not because I actually need him to be in the show.

2. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Loved the show. But did you end up marrying a shiksa?

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Two of them. And the first one is black, but I won’t use the Yiddish word that was thrown around by some relatives.

I had three brothers, we had six wives and only one is Jewish.

tea and ease likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Bad Monkey, jeez I thought that Vince Vaughn doing VV things would be worth it but that tailed off fast and it was dreadful at the end.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Thanks - I was just about to start it and I’ll skip it now. As a non-shiksa, I didn’t love Nobody Wants This. The depiction of Jewish women as controlling harpies was a little too broad for me and it’s pretty unbelievable that two women from LA wouldn’t know what Shabbat was. That said, I absolutely would pay attention to any service conducted by Adam Brody.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought that two of the faults of Nobody Wants This were that 1) they didn’t really show him being a rabbi or explain why he wanted to be one (I mean he was packing up his brother’s car with party favors on the day of the Bat Mitzvah): and 2) why the Noah/Rebecca relationship didn’t work. They made Rebecca into more of a three dimensional character the last few episodes, but the failure of that relationship needed at least one more scene.

I also learned yesterday that Noah’s dad was 3 years ahead of me in HS. He’s only 59 while the mom is 75.

Dyno likes this.
  7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Also, at their havdalah, he didn’t bless the wine or the bread before drinking/eating. That would not happen.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024 at 11:26 AM
    tea and ease and Webster like this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My wife, daughter, and I enjoyed it. It's a bit silly, but cute.

And yes, it did get me thinking of the way my mother nudged me toward meeting a Jewish woman and how she cringed her way through my brother's wedding.

9. outofplace

I thought they did those things, but on more of a surface level. They started with Noah thinking Rebecca wasn't respecting his privacy or him. But it is a romantic comedy, so I think the more vague explanation is that he simply didn't love her and he loves Joanne.

10. outofplace

I've been enjoying it. I hope Batman never shows up. This works better as a grounded crime drama without anyone wearing a cape.

Cristin Milioti has been fantastic, especially in the most recent episode. She had to portray such a change in her character. She does a great job making the character feel dangerous well before we actually see her take action.

Regan MacNeil and Spartan Squad like this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I get it, but it seems like there was a scene or two at the beginning missing. I guess the rule for any streaming show is that you need to dive heavily into the main plot as soon as possible in the first episode, but it seemed rushed to me.

12. outofplace

I get that. Perhaps I didn't notice because I always go into romantic comedies with low expectations.

Draft saved Draft deleted