1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 8 thread - Austin Powers: The Horn Who Hooked Me

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 14, 2024.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Fear not. WhenBC lined up for a field goal while down 14 with eight minutes left, the Eagles landed. And I'm old enough to remember when they were good this year.

Liut likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In a game I literally did not know was being played until checking scores just now, Florida State drops to 1-6 after losing to Duke for the first time ever.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Brando: There are many people who might want Purdue to score a TD here.

Me: Seen.

Chef2 likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Poop

Chef2 likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Karma. Noles fall to 1-7 since firing the first shot of treason against the ACC.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Going to the U next week, woof. And the trip to Notre Dame next month doesn’t bode well either.

Nov. 2 is home to North Carolina in what feels like a loser leave town match (and maybe even the winner). Even they aren’t sorry enough to lose to Charleston Southern. That leaves Florida on Thanksgiving weekend for the Sunshine Shart.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Florida has actually pulled itself together like the alcoholic dad trying to go two days without a drink so he can make it through a job interview and show his family he's serious this time.

Appropriately, that newfound self respect should unravel at the Cocktail Party when Georgia lays a 42-10 beat down upon them and Billy Napier gets the call that he doesn't have a job anymore.

tapintoamerica and maumann like this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

So I hadn’t heard anything about Corso for a while. I turned it to GameDay……heard him try and pronounce something that was supposed to be Brent Venables……but that was way too many R’s and stuff…..made sure he was alive……and immediately turned the channel.
    I’m delighted he got well. He just didn’t need to get back on TV.

Liut likes this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not sure about that. But I still believe that the mass exodus of talent out of the portal after the playoff snub last season has been too much to overcome.

But Florida State had turnovers on three consecutive plays – interception return for TD, lost fumble, interception – spanning the first and second quarters. Holding onto the ball isn't a talent issue. Still, more than one thing can be true.

Manny Diaz is making clear that the Blue Devils aren't sinking back into the depths. But the slow offensive starts cannot sustain if Duke wants to keep playing with the big boys.

Still, Duke moves to 6-1. If SMU beats Stanford later today, it sets up a 7-1 SMU team that will be ranked against 6-1 Duke is something of an ACC showdown next week.

Welcome to D-1A college football in 2024.

franticscribe likes this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

While we were sleeping (yes, even here on the Left Coast), BYU finished off one hell of a game with a 40-yard TD pass in the final seconds, to edge Oklahoma State and stay unbeaten.

Not sure if that says more about the Cougars and their strong start or the utter mediocrity of the Big 12.

swingline and dixiehack like this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

At one point does Gundy’s chair get warm

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You'd think the Cowboys would be one of the favorites in that league, with Oklahoma and Texas gone.

On that game-winning play, BYU's receiver caught the ball about 15 yards shy of the end zone, against a prevent defense, and wove around OSU tacklers like they were cones in a parking lot. The Cowboys defense is awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted