1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why did I just see an ad about the North Carolina gubernatorial race on ESPN2 here in Arkansas?

Driftwood likes this.
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Polls show an election that could be the 'closest since Bush v. Gore'

I keep seeing stuff like this, and there has been lots of debate on socials and everywhere else, but how can this race seriously be deadlocked? At least nationally? There is no way.

Trump lost the popular vote both times and he lost worse the second time. He is seemingly going up against his most formidable opponent too. He gained that main votes to make this a deadlock? How do these pollsters not look at least at that and say something is flawed?

Now in terms of battleground states, anyone's guess is as good as mine or yours. But nationally, there is just no logical way this is a dead heat. Unless the only data pollsters are using is from battleground states because they know how everyone else is voting.

TowelWaver likes this.
  4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I saw one from the Dems that was probably similar, if not the same, during the Duke-FSU game last night -- and I'm in Atlanta. Maybe the candidate or committee shot their shot and bought a national slot?

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Trump and other right wing outlets are flooding the zone with right-leaning polls to make it look like it was stolen when he loses. Same reason they're all pointing to crypto betting markets. They know he's going to lose. They just need it to look like it was stolen.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2024 at 1:05 PM
  6. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

I got polled last night by Quinnipiac. They called me twice (I didn't answer), left me a voice mail once. I called them back and got an automated answer before we finally connected.

BTW, here's Quinnipiac's methodology: "The Quinnipiac University Poll, directed by Doug Schwartz, Ph.D. since 1994, conducts independent, non-partisan national and state polls on politics and issues. Surveys adhere to industry best practices and are based on random samples of adults using random digit dialing with live interviewers calling landlines and cell phones."

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Because East Carolina and Duke were/are playing in those games and thus fans from North Carolina would be watching. Just saw a ridiculous Trump ad on the ECU-Army game.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Those ads are all over college football games now, and not just those involving swing state teams. Big XII After Dark had one last night asking me to vote out three “liberal” judges from the Oklahoma Supreme Court. Last weekend there was one warning me of the dangers of some California proposition. At least on cable, it’s a relatively cost-effective ad buy for a target audience more likely to watch live.

I hate it.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Colorado was firmly a swing state through second Obama. It was so awful the constant ads, and mailers, and door knocks. I had an Obama campaigner come into my back yard while we were doing family things! I don't care who you support, that's kind of an invasion of privacy.

But Colorado is no more and the quite is so nice. Then you watch a national sporting event and have bad flashbacks.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And that's exactly right. And that's why you can't count on the popular vote giving you a winner. Look, if Harris loses those seven swing states -- she loses.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Because everything rides on the Republican primary in Alabama and it happens in early spring now, we are already getting candidates laying groundwork for 2026. By January the governor’s race will be under way.

Draft saved Draft deleted