1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football week 8 thread - Austin Powers: The Horn Who Hooked Me

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 14, 2024.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I meant the Hoosiers' record for Big Ten victory margin. Failed to specify.

2. tapintoamerica

They're conditioned to believe they should win regularly. They should not win regularly. I presume his goose was cooked when he lost to UNCC by 31 in the previous game. Nobody should lose to UNCC by 31.

3. tapintoamerica

I really miss the sports-reference.com college football search engine, which has been reduced to individual player season searches. Specifically, I wanted to know the last time Duke won a game with 180 yards of total offense.
    Also curious about the specs in the South Carolina-Oklahoma game, in which the Gamecocks got two defensive scores in a short span of the first quarter. As a result, they won by 26 while being outgained in total offense. Would love to know the last time somebody won by such a big margin while being outgained.

SixToe likes this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Should have happened after last season, but the Pirate Club doesn't have a big donor to write a big check. Could have happened after getting trampled by Charlotte (they don't like the UNC-Charlotte reference, preferring "Charlotte" these days), but didn't.

NOW? Almost implies that they expected to beat Army. No freaking way. Army's program – much like the Army – is about discipline. Little is that disciplined about East Carolina's football team.

Wonder if Jon Gilbert finally got someone to cut a check to send Houston on his way ... and start ponying up for both the search process and to lure the next sucker ... er, coach to Greenville.

As to your first two sentences, I've said it before and I'll say it again. For all the delusions NCSU's fan base might have, East Carolina's is worse. Much worse. Must experience to believe.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2024
  5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

This was actually the first game that came to my mind because the Gators had three touchdown drives of 11 yards or less. South Carolina barely outgained Florida, the teams had less than 400 yards total between them, but lost by 33.

Florida 44-11 South Carolina (Oct 20, 2012) Final Score - ESPN

tapintoamerica likes this.
  6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Not as mind-boggling as you would think. Under Norvell, FSU basically became a portal-recruiting team and did that very well for a couple of years. When all those guys opted out of the Orange Bowl it showed that he hadn't recruited HS kids for shit and eventually those chickens were going to come home to roost. I didn't think it would be THIS bad, but it's the result of a head coach that really doesn't like recruiting.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, the Longhorns' SEC resume looks like this:

beat the last-place team (Mississippi State) and the 13th-place team (Oklahoma).
    Lost to the third-place team (Georgia). At home.

dixiehack likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It wasn't a blowout, but the infamous LSU-Auburn "Interception Game" in 1994 springs to mind.
    Auburn got a field goal on its first drive, then didn't cross midfield the rest of the game. LSU outgained Auburn 407 yards to 165 and lost 30-26 because Auburn scored four defensive touchdowns.
    Three of those were interception returns in the fourth quarter, and the other was a fumble in the second.
    That was one of my first introductions to LSU football my freshman year there. Hard to believe it's been 30 years already. I can still remember it like yesterday, sitting in a dorm lobby with a bunch of people and watching it as the Jefferson Pilot game.
    That was also the start of a long, great run of memorable games between LSU and Auburn that lasted probably 20 years. There were at least seven or eight in that stretch that have some place in glory or infamy among the respective fan bases.

SixToe likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

ACC wins are a sometimes treat for them, but relative to the rest of their league? Why shouldn’t they expect to win regularly? Memphis and USF are the only programs likely investing more, and the Tigers are garbage historically and always two poor seasons away from going back to spending only on basketball.

Also, and I say this lovingly as someone who cultivates petty football grudges, I have gotten to know several ECU fans through my work (including a couple very connected to the program) and none of them act remotely like Sam portrays them regularly.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And South Florida's are worse than ECU's.

11. Neutral Corner

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted