1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm afraid public opinion has shifted on daytime postseason baseball. There's an entire generation now that doesn't associate that with any feelings of nostalgia. I'm seeing it on social media.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

This Mets run was so much fun. I think I’ve had more Mets joy in the past 5 weeks than I’ve had in the past 5 years. Dodgers are a great team and absolutely relentless. The Mets have an owner who will spend to win and what appears to be an excellent front office. I’ll take it.

matt_garth likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

TigerVols likes this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

To all you Dodger haters here, ha ha ha.

I get to fanboi. Time to win a full-season title and shut everyone up.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Last time my dad and I watched the Yankees and Dodgers in the World Series was 1981. I was 10.

2muchcoffeeman, dixiehack and maumann like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Dodgers infield was still Garvey, Lopes, Russell and Cey, although all were at least 32 by then. Fernando Valenzuela was 20. Dave Winfield had signed a record-breaking 10-year, $21 million deal with the Yankees. And the whole season was weird because of the mid-season strike.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2024
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I still think Valenzela was at least two years older (and perhaps more) than what his "birth certificate" shows. But Fernando-mania was alive and well that season.

BitterYoungMatador2 and JC like this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

1981 was a year of postseason comebacks for the Dodgers. They were down 2-0 to Houston in the first round, which was necessitated by the strike, down 2-1 to Montreal before Blue Monday and down 2-0 to the Yankees before winning four in a row.

maumann likes this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Fuck Rick Monday!!!

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Ah, 1981. I was a rookie baseball writer for the Santa Monica Evening Outlook, covering the Dodgers. What a ride, from Vero Beach to Yankee Stadium. I have a ton of memories that will probably be brought up as this week unfolds.
    Fernando-mania, labor dispute that took away a third of the season, local boy Rick Monday from Santa Monica High beats the Expos, the infielders in their final season together, and on and on.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Reggie Jackson taking a flyball in the chest, and reliever George Frazier taking three losses.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted