1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7 -- I Goff at your Darnold

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 16, 2024.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Think about it. Soccer players get CTE from repeated headers. These guys are bashing heads 50 times a day or more.

SixToe likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Amazing how exactly one poster on these threads manage to lose their mind pretty much every week.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Bring back Merton “Long Neck” Hanks and his helmet, which I couldn’t find a picture of so maybe I’m thinking of someone else.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Mocking you for being a whiny fanboy is losing my mind? Sure lol

By the way, thank you for distracting from Myles Garrett's idiocy, the discussion that was actually worth having.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2024 at 1:15 PM
  5. outofplace

Pardon me for being a little Pittsburgh-focused on this, but one of the early studies of brain injuries in football players were done in connection with the Steelers. It was either late '70s or early '80s. Also, the doctor who first discovered CTE was working in the Pittsburgh Coroner's office at the time. In fact, he first noticed something off when he examined the body of Mike Webster after his death.

Just anecdotally, there are way too many former Steelers linemen who have had CTE or other brain injuries. Webster was one. So was Terry Long, who committed suicide. They found signs of CTE in Justin Strzelczyk, who went through severe behavioral changes and ended up being killed in an accident after leading police on a high-speed chase on the New York State Thruway. There are others, and I'm sure fans of other teams can come up with examples there, too.

SixToe likes this.
  6. outofplace

I tend to agree, but if the helmets don't actually offer any additional protection but give the players the illusion of improved safety, that could also be a problem.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You'd think the manufacturers trying to sell the pillow helmets would be doing studies 24/7 to come up with experimental evidence to help sell 'em.

8. outofplace

Maybe, or perhaps they know any study is going to show that they really don't do much, so it's better to perpetuate the illusion of increased safety.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Get over yourself. It’s a damn football game. You started this. Stop it.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

upload_2024-10-22_14-17-8.jpeg

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

The late Kent Hull once told me about a study done by the Rochester (NY) Institute of Technology.
    It somehow calculated that, on average, every play Kent was involved in was tantamount to a 35 mph automobile collision.
    Now, Kent was a center. He said the speeds per hour were much higher for RBs and LBs ... which would seem to make sense.
    Still, repetitive 35 mph car wrecks are going to tear you up in a hurry.
    Kent died at 50.

SixToe likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They're already being sold on the premise of being beneficial for safety. With CTE being more and more in the news every day you would think EVERY helmet manufacturer would be working nonstop to develop more protective helmets, whether they're the Kazoo style pillow helmets or whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted