1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Should be a way for Fox to bake that in, but these things are set many years in advance.

2018, 2019 and 2021 WS started Tuesday-Wednesday.

This is the third year in a row it's starting Friday-Saturday. Just seems it will get completely lost in the football weekend and Friday night is a dead zone.

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It feels like X days after the final series gets a little wonky. If you want a minimum of three (which of what they’re doing because Yankees-Guardians Game 7 would hand been tonight), you’d start against MNF or you go four to avoid staying opposite the NFL, you’d start against college football for Game 1.

3. Spartan Squad

With the extra round, it’s harder with everyone ending on a Sunday. If the Wild Card was five or the DS was 7, you’d force the playoffs well into November, but you can better line it up to open on a Tuesday.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

America just no longer watching TV on Friday nights is one of the strangest shifts in behavior of my lifetime.

2muchcoffeeman and Spartan Squad like this.
  5. Spartan Squad

I blame Millennials going to college. We grew up on TGIF but then drinking beer on a Friday after classes became more important. Then we got jobs and … beer stayed important.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

If both series had ended by Saturday, the World Series would have started tonight. The Mets forcing game 6 messed that up.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I remember thinking it was ridiculous that “Friday Night Lights” was shown on Fridays. Nobody who wanted to watch that show would be home on Friday night.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I would read the hell out of a magazine article about the death of Friday night television.

I’d like to know if sitcom ratings cratered first or the overwhelming success of TV news magazine shows like Dateline and 20/20 came first. My completely neophyte theory would be that 20/20 and Dateline got great ratings, was cheaper to produce and then once 18-49 realized Friday night was being programmed for old people, punted on watching that night forever.

Or….beer.
    At least in my household it was the opposite. We stayed home on Fridays and Saturday night was the night we didn’t watch television. Sports moving to Saturday night changed that.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2024 at 1:12 AM
    Spartan Squad likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Some really respected TV critics have the opinion it killed the show’s original run on NBC in the cradle. I know I didn’t start watching until it went to DirecTV.

outofplace likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And who wants to watch pretend high school football when there's real high school football to see?

jr/shotglass likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The games I covered never had Minka Kelly and Adrianne Palicki close-ups.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not counting probably seeing Laci Peterson as a high school cheerleader (the school she attended was in the same league as the one I covered), closest brush with fame was a track runner at the school I covered was one of the "Girls of the Big West."

Liut and Hermes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted