1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Was coming to post this. Once it got to Game 6, and with the potential for Game 7 to be Monday, they had to account for either the Yankees needing to fly across the country or the Mets having to do the same to start the series in New York, so that would have potentially made Tuesday the travel day.

They wanted to have Games 1/2 and potentially 6/7 be Tuesday/Wednesday to avoid football

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My daughter doesn't know what to expect. Her and boyfriend are going on a Ducks road trip this weekend. They play the Rangers on Saturday, the Devils on Sunday and the Islanders on Tuesday. She didn't want to be in the middle of a New York zoo atmosphere, and was thankful the Mets lost so it wouldn't be a Subway Series and the whole city would be lit. Games 3, 4 and 5 are Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. They are going to a Broadway play on Wednesday. She now is of the opinion that New York can handle this and they won't get caught up in anything crazy.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Better New York than LA where on Friday night there is Game 1 of the World Series, Rutgers-USC at the Coliseum, a Lakers home game, concerts at the Forum and Intuit Dome and a high school football game at SoFi. The latter three are all on the same block in Inglewood and all of the events share a freeway.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Also Mater Dei-St. John Bosco at Santa Ana Bowl.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Though it was correctly noted that young people with no memory of it actually seem to be against it (the complaints were loud and long among Tigers fans that so many of their games this postseason have been in the daytime and thus, work), the biggest reason is probably the amount of money Fox would have to give away in advertising rates for non-primetime.

The last World Series game to not be played in primetime was Game 6 in 1987, which happened in the Metrodome. The last World Series game that started in daytime in the Eastern Time Zone were the last two games in 1984. Game 4 was a 1:30! ET start on a Saturday, while the clincher was at 4:45 on a Sunday.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I went to sports-reference.com and looked up what the World Series was competing against that day.

On Saturday, Oct. 13, Texas and Oklahoma played to a tie in the Red River Shootout. Only other game involving two ranked teams was Auburn edging Florida State in a 42-41 thriller. For comedy purposes, Notre Dame lost at home by two touchdowns to Air Force, and Purdue was No. 14 in the country ... at least until they lost 40-3 to Iowa at home.

On Sunday, Gary Anderson connected on a chip shot field at or near the gun (no times in the box) as the Steelers won 20-17 at Candlestick in the game of the week. Also, Joe Thiesmann threw for 3 TDs as Washington routed Dallas 34-14 at RFK. Gary Danielson connected with Leonard Thompson as the Lions beat the Bucs 13-7 in overtime in a game that started at 1, so hopefully early enough for folks to get downtown from the Silverdome to take part in the "postgame festivities" after the Tigers clinched it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2024 at 1:37 PM
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

upload_2024-10-23_13-47-33.jpeg

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yankess-Dodgers, 1977.

Rivers, Jackson and the f*ing other guy.

UPChip likes this.
  8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I know there’s a lot of “rooting for the sweet asteroid of death” here when it comes to a Yankees-Dodgers World Series. Big money, big markets, big national coverage year-round. I get it.

As much as I am a Mets fan, I’m also a baseball fan. I’m pretty excited about this one. Tons of big stars, with Ohtani, Judge, Betts, Soto, Stanton at the top of a deep list. Two historic franchises. A coast-to-coast rivalry with history.

That all sounds pretty fun to me. Reading all the stuff about Fernando put me in a nostalgic mood. That and an unexpected extra and fun month of Mets baseball. I’m looking forward to it.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

By the way, that game the Steelers won in the final seconds was the 49ers only loss that season.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

All those stars and maybe one trustworthy starting pitcher between them.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Dodgers in six.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Alex Verdugo annoys me. Everything about him annoys me.His face annoys me. The way he whines at the plate while hitting .210 annoys me. So I like seeing him play left field like a tee ball player.

Draft saved Draft deleted