1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

More and more people are getting walled into their silos by an AI's perception of their "preferences". I graze all sorts of shit through the day. I never know what will catch my eye and interest, if only for a few seconds to screen it. The AI damn certainly does not know what will trigger my curiousity. I don't know myself until I see it.

2. Neutral Corner

Well played, sir.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I also would have accepted "Mayor McSleaze."

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Social media use by an old person (me).
    Facebook: My wife's the oldest of 11 children. Keeping up with the in-laws.
    Instagram: Cute pictures and videos of my grandchild
    YouTube: Golf tip videos
    Twitter: A few accounts I follow, almost all non-political (Super '70s Sports, a bunch of sports reporters, Spencer Hall and weird people I've met though him, etc.
    TikTok: No use, I'm sure I've missed some funny stuff.

This very limited usage is I am sure more than most of my old fart peers here in old person land on the Cape. Although some of my friends have the initiative to use the home fix-it videos. I've always been a call the guy guy myself.
    In short, while almost everyone uses social media, I question how many folks use it for political news, given that I know I am in thew 99.9th percentile of those who follow such news.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I still do the Facebook because the people who I want to see my social updates are on there more than anywhere else. I also participate in some pretty good groups that face it, are organized better on there than anywhere else. But there is a lot of fake shit on FB and so many people fall for it. The comments are usually funny, but it is also sad.

I am only on Instagram in a way because my kids are. There are some of my peers that have transitioned to that for their updates instead of FB (not sure if they realize it is owned by the same company or not). That's about it.

I still find Twitter a really good news source if you have the right feed. Not as good as it once was when things break because the right people aren't on it as much, but it is still there. Just don't read the comments. When Twitter fully blows up I will be able to move on without much issue.

I brought it up the other day TikTok is becoming a fabulous news source, and there are great things on there currently about the election. There is entertaining stuff but it goes beyond that. It really is a time suck of an app. It also caters totally to your interests (the Chinese listening or whatever the GOP talking point is). So you only see what appeals to you once it figures you out.

I am not really on anything else. My oldest, a second-year college student, pretty much only communicates on Snap, but I haven't taken that plunge.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I feel too old for SnapChat. Especially when it first got popular, I felt like it would be creepy if I got on there. My Gen Z, twenty something sister is on it, but in not taking the plunge just to see what she is up to.

I’m mostly on Facebook because people my age are still on it plus I enjoy the reels. By extension, I’m on Instagram because you can turn on a setting and share in both places.

Left twitter almost all together since I left newspapers except to find things I want you post here and I don’t want to post a web link.

TikTok is my I want something to fall asleep to or to send to a family chat.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Per GasBuddy, 7.5 miles from his hometown you can get gas for 2.97.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Guy's just another fuckin' Republican liar. That's why running these panels is so stupid by cable news outlets. People lie to get on 'em, then they lie afterwards.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Absolute nightmare for the host institution. So the Trump kkkapaign won't let them know until 48 hours in advance? Brutal.

Draft saved Draft deleted