1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Some day Trump in the future will die naturally and all the poor people are going to suddenly look up from fighting each other and realize Musk and Bezos are essentially the same guy and chase them onto their spaceships.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Some really interesting and informative posts @maumann. The Georgia stuff is fascinating.

Pretty much everything shows a tie nationally or Harris with a slight edge. And of course, a national poll is pretty meaningless if that’s indeed the case.

If it is tied, I still like the democrats ground game to GOTV. Could be the difference. Big concern is what the trump crazies will do at polling places and counting sites. The intimidation factor is real. And very sad what this fuck has done with his lies to undermine our free and fair elections.

I think people are enthusiastic about voting for Harris. I think people are enthusiastic about voting AGAINST trump. Outside of his 35-40% cult, who is enthusiastic about another round of his exhausting bullshit?

He’s going hard after young men. As has been said, many times, many ways, if you’re counting on the vote of young people to get you a win, well good luck to you.

As always, the caveat is I could be dead ass wrong and he wins in 2016 style. Or bigger.

franticscribe, britwrit and maumann like this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yep, I could look like the biggest fool around. But there's empirical evidence to suggest the polls are wonky. I can't prove for a fact Harris is leading in Georgia -- or will win when all the Election Day votes come in, which could be mostly male -- but trying to read between the lines, the numbers are much better than what the national pollsters are trying to have us believe.

Young white males don't vote in the same percentages as Olds and women do.

Trump has a proven high water mark. You cannot tell me there are millions of people who didn't vote in the past two elections who suddenly are going to add to his total now. If anything, he's killed off 1 percent of his base.

The one variable that I can't account for is whether Americans are ready for a woman President, particularly one that's a minority. That may be a big ask for some people who voted Biden four years ago. But that would mean a lower turnout rather than a larger one.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2024 at 2:17 PM
    Deskgrunt50, qtlaw and TowelWaver like this.
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Donald Trump called America a garbage can. Vote for Kamala Harris and we can put his political future in the garbage can, where it belongs.

Baron Scicluna and HanSenSE like this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

It should be noted that there is a belief that Trump could perform better in the popular vote this time around yet end up losing the electoral college.

Nate Cohn of the NYT detailed that possibility this morning. It's not likely, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.
    Could Trump Win the Popular Vote but Lose the Electoral College?

As for Texas, Harris' camp has outright said they're going to Texas because they believe they can use it to generate a wider, national discussion on abortion and women's rights/women's health more than another stop in another swing state. It has nothing to do with whether they can win Texas.

maumann likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I can start looking forward to oligarchs falling out of windows in the near future.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Probably the best option. Texans have a game on Sunday, and their owner gave $1M for Republican senate candidates last cycle, so I doubt that was an option. Toyota Center is owned by Tilman. Minute Maid is a baseball stadium and an odd configuration vs. Shell. I've been to Shell for a game and found it to be nice.

garrow likes this.
  11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It is cowardice, and more disillusioning performance by major media. It's just unbelievable, particularly in an election this close. I guess there's another high-up closet Trump supporter who doesn't want that in their paper.

TowelWaver likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted