1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hollywood Sequel

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

That answers that. I guess Boone will have to make sure there are two outs in an inning if he has him face Ohtani again this series.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thought it would be Shohei to get Nestor. Dumb move by Boone.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

If pitching to the Dodgers in a late inning situation in Game 1 of the World Series against a gimpy, aging left-handed hitter, do not have a mustache.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I would fire Boone before he got on the bus

6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

What a ballgame.

And we get to do it again tomorrow.

Baseball is boring...until it's not.

God, I love this game.

2muchcoffeeman, Chef2 and maumann like this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In college, if you catch a ball in play and then carry it out of play (catch and carry), all runners move up a base. Does that not apply in MLB?

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I believe they did. Betts was then intentionally walked, bringing up Freeman with the bases loaded.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You just know that Boone just looked at Cortes’ numbers against Ohtani and Betts and decided to pick him instead of Hill.

Never mind that the guy is coming off an injury and hasn’t pitched in 37 days. Never mind that he’s been a starter for four years and you’re having him come in out of the bullpen, with men on base, and in the highest of high-leverage situations. Got to go with the analytics.

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It did. I noticed the third base umpire award the bases right away. But Fox cut away and didn't update the bases on the score thing. So it led to confusion from many fans watching.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

That was just fantastic entertainment. Sports can be so fun. You can't deny the firepower on that field. Adrenaline still pumping for me and I, like many, have zero love for either team.

For any questions how the Yankees handled the bottom half, the Dodgers didn't exactly play the top great. Had an argument on the field positioning with my teenager, but I don't think you can just let someone steal third in that situation! But they were playing for the double play, he tells me. How'd that work out?

Didn't matter. Great game.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ah, that’s why they intentionally walked Betts? I even remarked in real time to my son that Verdugo did a good job keeping his head in it and getting the ball in to prevent the runners from advancing.

I thought the Yankees just decided they’d rather pitch to Freeman (lefty, hadn’t gotten an XBH for a month until tonight) with the bases loaded than Betts with runners at first and second. I thought that was stupid, but now I understand.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted