1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024.

1. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

If Ohtani can’t play, it’s only fair, because Aaron Judge also cant perform for the Yankees (ba-dum-pum).
    Of course, now that i say that, expect 3 home runs from Judge tomorrow.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I’m a Cubs fan, and care not who wins the series. But I’d love to be in Yankee Stadium when Judge hits three home runs!

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I've really shifted focus in the last few years. Doing more things and not worrying about the cost. This season, went to KC for the KC-MIN baseball season opener, did a 10-day euro cruise with Mom (for her 80th, my treat), and was in Las Vegas and went to the VGK season opener. That's probably it for this year, but I've got no dependents, no heirs and I can't take it with me.... so here we go! Living life!

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It still seems insane — to me. I don’t tell other folks how to spend their money.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It’s all relative. People balk at concert prices and then spend the same amount of money on a meal they’ll shit out in eight hours. I honestly think an event like a World Series is the rare thing worth every penny. Memories that can’t be duplicated. I’m the same way with travel.

The things I balk at are recurring charges like cell phone data plans or transient things like meals (fully understanding thee are meals that become memories). I try to make memories with my money and limit costs on things that don’t last or depreciate. I cook a lot of meals at home and have an iPhone that still has a home button to do a bunch of cool stuff.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2024 at 1:16 PM
  7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

In a pre-series thread on FB, a friend posted that he'd checked and tickets for Game 1 were going for $1,600. I thought it was an indication of how ridiculous the cost was for tickets.
    A lengthy period of time after Game 1, he texted that he was still in the parking lot. He went. I'm sure he took his girlfriend. That had to be at least a $4,000+ night.

maumann likes this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If I’m spending $4,000 on one night, it BETTER come with hookers and coke.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Nah I hear you can get that for $100 /crossthread

swingline likes this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You can never get rid of the shame of knowing you have to pay someone to hang out with you and to fuck you. I’d rather go see an all-time baseball game.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

No, you pay for them to leave. Have a listen

12. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Much smaller scale, but I faced this with seeing my favorite band on Central Park this summer (Gaslight Anthem). It would be a flight, hotel in Brooklyn, and meals (the concert ticket was only $50). But I wanted to see that band in NYC. And when it coincided with my daughter moving back into her apartment for senior year, I decided to jump at it.

It was worth every penny. All of the pennies.

It helped that I got to spend the concert day in the city with my kid - going from downtown at her studio to midtown to drop more money for tap shoes at LaDuca - but that might be my favorite trip to NYC in a long list of them. The band could not have been better, and it capped a weekend that I gave to myself after a hard year of work and moving. I'm so glad I did it.

When my wife and I figured out several years ago that Christmas gifts should be experiences rather than things, and we've been able to give our kid trips and Broadway shows instead of material things, that changed everything for us.

Memories matter.

Draft saved Draft deleted