1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Again, just my two cents ...

Does this ever feel like 2016. Let me explain.

Pardon my racing parlance, but last night's Trump rally smacked of someone taking a victory lap before the checkered flag. There's still nine days before all the ballots are received, and even if Repulican pollsters and leadership think they've got it in the bag -- or even more insidiously, think the House can somehow ignore the Electoral College and hope the Supreme Court rams through a coup -- it's pretty stupid to trot out as much racism and anti-Americanism as they did at Madison Square Garden, if only to stroke Trump's ego.

Sure, the stock market analysts, betting sites and predictive polling are showing an increasingly bullish chance for a GOP sweep, but Harris still polls out at a 1.5 percent national lead no matter what side of the fence you're sitting on. Yeah, in the past that's meant swing states usually wind up well below that number, but Trump hasn't broken through 47 percent support this entire election. And women are outvoting men by huge margins everywhere. And past performance isn't a predictor of future results.

I've said it before, but this election is going to be decided by women and minorities, not white men. And it's a tossup, with just as many opportunities for Harris to win as there are for Trump. Turnout is huge. And the polls are undercounting the undercurrent of people sick of Mr. Orange Cheeto.

I'm certain very few Puerto Ricans were voting for Trump even before last night, but the outrage from not only them but the entire Hispanic community this morning is palpable. Yeah, whomever Tony Hinchcliffe (never heard of him, to be honest) was is supposed to be a comic, but there was nothing funny about attacking a place and a race that makes up a not-insignificant population in many swing states. And Trump could basically line up 10,000 Puerto Ricans in front of his hotel and gun them down without losing a single Klan vote, but I wonder how many people who might have sat out this election woke up this morning (particularly Cubans and other people of Latinx descent) and gave that decision a second or third thought.

Visceral reactions are very powerful things. And make no mistake, a large group of people are having a visceral reaction to the words and actions in New York. Yes, he's been saying this crap for months but no one will be able to Trump-wash that comment this time.

No matter what conspiracy theories you believe, I still feel Hillary thought she had it won and didn't close the deal at the end. Harris isn't going to make that same mistake, but Donald Trump might have just had his 2016 moment last night.

"But her emails!" may become the new "But he was only joking!"

Last edited: Oct 28, 2024 at 1:37 PM
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

qtlaw and maumann like this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I hope you’re right.

UNCGrad and maumann like this.
  4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I think it very well could show they know they are screwed and are bringing out all the bat shit they can.

garrow, BurnsWhenIPee and maumann like this.
  5. maumann

Me, too. I'm going to watch the Georgia polling numbers today to see if there's any change in ballots received. If there's a major jump, that might indicate something. Then again, it might be noise.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Exactly where I'm at right now, especially when I hear someone say, "We're better than this."

The fuck we are.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

One guy who responded to a pro-Trump post on one of my boxing friends’ Facebook page is apparently one of those “poll watchers.” There’s such a fine line between patriotic civic-minded citizens doing their duty and terrorists, I guess.
    If one of these clowns “tries something “ I hope they’re the ones who end up in jail.

maumann likes this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Fake. Trump never says “please.”

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Got my Georgia peach sticker. Then got an email from my son's school system warning of possible traffic delays with his bus because of Trump's rally today (fortunately, any traffic issues should avoid the areas around my kid's school) and felt even more assured that I made the right selection today.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Same — it'll be a poll of how big a can of whoop-ass I opened up on somebody.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The sky might be blue and the ocean could be too.

But it's not the same as Dodger Blue.

Or Vida Blue.

maumann likes this.
  12. maumann

Want to watch for trends? Here's a tremendous site for early voting. And right now, they're only showing the Hispanic vote in GA, NC and SC, which will be interesting to watch for the next few days.

» 2024 Early Voting UF Election Lab

TowelWaver likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted