1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much did you pay for gas today?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by G-Spot, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

$2.09 this afternoon and if there are no sudden spikes, it'll be $1.92 by Christmas Day.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Down to $2.29 by my house, although was still $2.45 in town.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The ghetto near the paper was at $1.99, but I just filled up at $2.17 by my house.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Central Florida prices are down about 15 cents in the last 10 days; now we're in the $2.40s. I track every fillup I make and I'm saving about $15 per tankful from what I paid six months ago. Put me in the camp that says this is good for 98 percent of the U.S. economy; Americans won't save that extra few bucks, they'll put it right back into the economy.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course the corporate nut slurping media is starting to float the sympathy-trolling meme that this is really a bad thing for America, because it is going to (gasp!!!) cut into oil company profits.

As if the cocksuckers haven't had their fangs sunk in our asses since 2008. (Actually much longer ago than that, but 2008 marks the start of their latest continuing campaign to ass-rape us into economic oblivion.)

6. trifectarich

Exactly. Shell made $5.8 billion in profit in its most recent quarterly report. No one should stay up at night worrying the company might not be able to repeat that in its next filing.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I saw a headline the other day saying cheap gas was bad for America, but I don't know the reasoning used because I took one look at the headline and didn't bother reading the story.

8. trifectarich

Part of the reasoning is that it now costs more to find and produce a barrel than what it fetches on the open market. There were profits galore at $100 a barrel, but not so much at $60. Similar reasoning also applies to fracking — or so they say.

9. So? There is more supply than demand. Why is that bad?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because The Job Creators may only clear hundreds of billions in profit, instead of trillions. Boo Fucking Hoo.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Companies like Exon pay a lot of taxes on their profits but I'm not going to over think it. At this point it's a nice
    break for the working man.

Still think it has to do less with supply and demand and more to do with the oil market being less manipulated
    by the futures traders.

Some big organizations like Chase and Goldman have had a bit of wind taken out of their sails and do not
    want to have Congress take a further look at them.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And we have our first sub-$2.00 sighting in DFW! $1.99 at a number of locations (QT, 7-11, Valero, etc). I filled up tonight at $1.79 with a Kroger discount. Can't remember the last time I filled up for $25 (OK, $25.64 -- close enough).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted