1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy football

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's a good call, Rhody. One clarification - the non-Thomas guys were all on the wire, not on my roster.

I went in a slightly different direction from what you said and picked up Jermaine Gresham. I also have Demaryius in my lineup and thought it might not be a terrible idea to diversify a bit given Denver's relative struggles the past couple of weeks. (Not going to start him over an active Thomas, though.)

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's one thing I've been more careful about this year than in years past, is having too many players from a single team on my roster. QB/WR tandems can be tempting because each TD catch is worth at least 11 points in a PPR league, but if the offense gets shut down, you're in trouble.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I've done that a couple times, but I don't think it's ever been something I set out to do. I did it in 1998 when I drafted Cunningham as a backup and took Randy Moss relatively late (his rookie season) and just crushed. I had Favre and Brooks in 1995, but Brooks was not a high pick. Most recently, I had Rodgers and James Jones two years ago but Jones was also a very late pick.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It all depends on the players. (Obvious statement of the year award.) That team, the best I've ever drafted by far, had two Packers and two Broncos in the first five rounds. But you can get away with that when those players are Rodgers, Cobb and the Thomases.

My other money league team was rolling out Nelson, Lacy and Crosby for the end-of-season push, and I went 4-1 with them. Then I dropped Crosby for Barth for the semifinals, which was the right move, even if it didn't matter.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think where it really hurts is a combo of QB/WR/TE, or even QB/WR/RB. That's a lot of risk. The right QB/WR can help you steamroll teams, but one ill-timed bad game can be deadly.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think of times when I've had the No. 1 WR and the top back on the same team. I had Forte and Marshall two years ago and that worked out very well, but I had passed on Marshall in the third round for that reason and then he came back to me in the fourth. I remember several years ago I had Bettis and Hines Ward and that was a disaster. If one of them had a good game, the other was awful.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, somehow I got a No.2 seed and the bye. Although I did have Foles until the last few weeks and the rest of my team is really good. Started 9-2 and lost the last 2 weeks with Kaep. Didn't have a team that deserved to make the finals, but it would have been nice.

And I'll echo here what others have said. DO NOT try to get too clever in the playoffs. Go with who brung you. You'll feel like an ass if you start Cutler over Rodgers based on matchups more often than not. Unless injuries are a consideration, play your best players. Granted I don't have the interest I once did, but I generally set my lineups throughout the year on Mon or Tues (so I don't forget) and only check in for injury updates. If you've been doing this a while, you know who your best players are.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm asking this question, but ....

Titans D at Jacksonville or Miami D vs. Minnesota at home?

Miami has really slowed down of late defensively. Jacksonville has given up at least eight points to opposing defenses in every game this year. I might be going against my own advice of not getting too cute ...

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I was going to say go with Miami for sure. But after looking at the numbers, I think these matchups definitely point to Tennessee. Bortles has been sacked at least 4 times in the past 6 games, including 7 in one and 8 in another (assuming he plays). And Minnesota puts up a lot more points than the Jags.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And in a salute to equality, the final matchup in my regular league pits two of the three women in the league. Awesome.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I did ride the Jets to an eight-point performance in a spot start last week, so what the hell! I think Henne might be starting for the Jags. Cripes. I'm gonna have to watch that game now. :(

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You mean the Henne who has thrown 63 picks and been sacked 149 times in 64 career games? :) Most recent reports still have Bortles starting if he can. Either way ... looks like it's a game-time decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted