1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread 2014-15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 30, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think they were ever going to rely on Rodriguez to play regularly at third base. It would be foolish to think he can do it at this point.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Cashman has said A-Rod would compete for jobs at third and DH while perhaps spending some time at first. I could see Headley getting relegated to the bench if A-Rod returns strong.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Sorry Guy, but I have a hard time taking you seriously when you claim the Yankees really wanted a player and they allowed the Pirates to outbid them. Martin doesn't count because he struggled during his two seasons in New York, including a .211/.311/.403 line the season before they let him go. No way the Yankees let him go for two years, $15 million if they really wanted him.

Everyone is making choices, but the Yankees have shown they can always find a way to make the choice "yes" whenever they want.[/QUOTE]

Your theory is that they decided that they would be better off with Chris Stewart?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/s...-lose-russell-martin-to-the-pirates.html?_r=0

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Your theory is that they decided that they would be better off with Chris Stewart?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/s...-lose-russell-martin-to-the-pirates.html?_r=0[/QUOTE]

My theory is that they didn't want Martin. If the Yankees and Pirates want the same player, the Yankees will get that player. Please just stop this foolishness of saying the Pirates outbid the Yankees for a player. It is embarrassing and you are far too smart of a guy to keep insisting upon it.

I get that you are buying into the information that the Yankees put out there. They proved last offseason that the limit they set for themselves wasn't a real limit, so what they put out there is a load of crap. Nothing wrong with that. Just about every team is full of crap at one point or another.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Morse signs 2-year deal with the Marlins.

6. JackReacher

Looks like Wil Myers could be headed to San Diego in a multi-team, very confusing deal with a lot of moving parts. Souza would go from DC to Tampa. Some guys I've never heard of also involved. Maybe.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I won't be convinced ARod puts on pinstripes this year until until he takes the field on Opening Day to a chorus of boos.

8. JackReacher

Rizzo turned Souza (who has no shot at playing anytime soon) into SS Trea Turner (13th overall pick this year) and some pitcher picked in the 2011 first round. Maybe he can be the Redskins GM, too?

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Giants and Sergio Romo agree on two-year, $15 million deal. Glad he's going to stay.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a done deal, and the Nats got the better end of the trade by a long shot if those two guys pan out. Decent deal for the Rays too, with minor upgrade at catcher for a lot less money, a solid OF in Souza, a decent pitcher and some spare parts. Now we have to wait and see if Myers can bounce back. He was horrible last year, and I think he is just trying to get by on raw skill. If he gets to work and that wrist injury isn't an issue, he can still be an excellent player.

11. JackReacher

So Turner cannot officially join the Nationals until June 13, one year from the date he was drafted. He'll become a PTBNL. But how does that work? Does he simply remain with the Padres and play minor league ball with them until June 13? That won't be awkward at all.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yep. And he could always get hurt.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted