1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe Bryant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SoSueMe, Feb 20, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Why does Shaq always get a free pass on this? As a Laker he was fat, out of shape, insulted the owner who was paying him a fortune... and not for nothing, he didn't exactly want to play with Kobe, either. They managed to turn it into an either/or choice for Buss, and he made the only choice that made sense.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

And then another in Miami while LA and Kobe (the player they "chose to keep") didn't win one.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wasn't Kobe apart of those?

4. jdklamp

jdklamp Member

It really should be pretty simple. There are two parts of the game — offense and defense. Kobe is great at both. LeBron, Nash and Wade are all bad defensively. They can't guard anyone. All great players in the NBA can score. But how many can defend. It's like nobody cares about defense anymore. It's totally irrelevant if a guy can defend. Nash and Wade make Allen Iverson look like a competent defender. Wade goes for the steal on every play. Nash is just god awful. Yet people still think of them as the best player in the league. I just don't understand it. The offensive side is only half the game.

And Kobe was a good enough teammate to win three championships. So it's not like because he is a selfish A-hole you can't win with him.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Nobody should mention Kobe in the same breath as Jordan on any level.

Jordan was just flat-out better than Kobe.

At everything.

Even when Jordan wasn't passing the ball much during his early years, he was shooting close to 50 percent. Kobe has never done that.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Shaq rode D-Wade's coattails to that title, and Kobe's got at least 10 more years to win another title.

7. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

i know everyone is saying wade had shaq .. but if you watched the finals, Wade pretty much brought them back by himself.

In game 3, Shaq was just 6-9 for 16 points. Also 11 rebs.
    In game 5, which the Mavs won by 1, Shaq had 18-12 but took only 12 shots.
    In game 6, shaq was a waste - only played 30 mins, 9 points, 12 rebounds

He's a shell of what he was in LA (obviously). Nobody can win a title alone ... but Shaq wasn't getting a touch on every possession.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

...should be in jail.

And I'd love to see the Lakers get Jason Kidd just because he and Joumana about the only couple in the NBA who can match Kobe and Vanessa re: dual reprehension. Yes, I know, they're getting divorced, etc etc.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Kobe is the best player in the league.

Alot of people on here have said that Kobe dosn't pass the ball. This year, he's been passing ALOT more and it's really impressed me. It has shown another side to his game. Not only is he an excellent scorer, but he can pass with the best of them.
    I think you gotta' give him the MVP this year. The guy is playing with Smush Parker and Luke Walton in his lineup, and he's got his team as one the elites in the WESTERN confrence. That's pretty amazing.

10. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

kobe is the best player in the league.
    his shots are at 20 per game this season, down from 27 last season.
    he's making his teammates better this season, utilizing a revolving cast that has changed because of injuries to lamar odom, chris mihm, kwame brown, luke walton and now vlad rad. i know those guys aren't great, but kobe has helped make them vital pieces to the lakers.

the most impressive thing about him is that he's still evolving after 10 years in the league.
    and the guy gets a bad rap about the passing. he's averaged more than five assists a game for 7 of the past 8 years.

and he had plenty to do with the lakers' three title runs.

11. Dedo

Dedo Member

He's averaging 5.5 assists per game. That's tied for 19th in the league. Not sure you want the most talented scorer in the game passing any more than that.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

But only four more players shoot more than he does.

Draft saved Draft deleted