1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Day 4 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My bracket may not be in contention for anything but my dart board, but every time out I put USC over Texas. It's all Kevin Durant all the time, and he can't do it on his own in games like this the way he does against Baylor and Missouri and Nebraska.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't think Hansbrough can beat USC 1-v-5, though. The Heels got whacked by USC in LA last season.

And Freelance, Miner pissed me off back in the day. He should've carried USC much farther in the tournament the year ('92 or '93) Georgia Tech made that last-second shot to win it in the first round. My car broke down in Vacaville and I watched the game at the garage. Nearly set the garage on fire when USC lost that game. USC also should've beaten Duke in the Elite 8 a few years ago, but Jason Williams was a nutbuster. So was Duhon.

3. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Harold Miner should have 'carried USC much farther'?

Put the crank down, son. Miner couldn't take anybody anywhere without a jump shot. He was as one-dimensional as they come. That's why he was out of the NBA in three years or so.

I fear the same fate for OJ Mayo, but it's probably too early to call.

I had Texas losing in the first round in most of my brackets ... this actually helps me big-time.

4. SouthPaw

SouthPaw New Member

Any early Sweet 16 thoughts? I think the most entertaining game may be OSU-Tennessee. Pitt-UCLA should be a brawl, I doubt the combined score gets over 100. I like Oregon-UNLV, and Florida-Butler could be ugly.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

moderate ankle sprain for Roberts. Those fuckers hurt. If the Tigers win, they're lucky they have a few days off.

And why do people fall for the freshman leading a team to the promised land storyline? It's happened three times in 60-odd years. Four if you count MJ draining the jumper at the Superdome.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Moderate ankle sprain for Douglas-Roberts. Verne now believes amputation might be avoided.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In college you can carry a team. He scored a lot of points that year.

http://www.sportsstats.com/jazzyj/greats/92/miner.htm

8. urgrad2004

urgrad2004 Member

I watched Daniel Hackett shut down O.J Mayo last summer when he was on the So. Cal All-Stars -- the best AAU team in the country with Kevin Love, Taylor King and Brandon Jennings. Today, he's doing the best job anyone has all year on Durant. Though the player of the year has 20, every shot he has put up is contested and he's getting nothing off the boards. Hackett, five inches shorter, is face guarding him and more importantly boxing him out every time a shot comes up. Out of Durant's 18 shots so far -- 15 have been jump shots. He has only attempted two layups and one dunk. USC's defense on him is why they're going to move on.

9. Almost_Famous

Bud - I assume you saw last year that Redick and Morrison scored a shitload of points. Neither went anywhere in March.

You can carry a team in the regular season (big whoop) but March is all that matters.

10. Almost_Famous

Great stuff here, man. Esp for those of us without the game. Thanks.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

What in hell was that, a foul for hitting the ball?

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Miner was expected to take somebody somewhere. USC was a No. 2 seed in Miner's senior year. That whole regional broke down in the face of early upsets, as each of the top three seeds lost in the second round, and Cincinnati went to the Final Four. Yes, Miner was overrated, but he was a hell of a college player.

Draft saved Draft deleted